[net.micro.pc] PC to Mainframe file transfer

ins_ayjk@jhunix.UUCP (Young Je Koh) (11/26/85)

I use an IBM PC with a modem to link up to a UNIX and VAX mainframes.
I have a communication program which supports XMODEM and KERMIT file
transfer protocoals.
HOW do you tell UNIX or VAX to upload or download a file to and from
micros?  I would appreciate any reply.
 					Thanx

{ ins_ayjk@jhunix }
{ ins_ayjk@jhuvms }

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/27/85)

In article <1304@jhunix.UUCP> ins_ayjk@jhunix.UUCP (Young Je Koh) writes:
>HOW do you tell UNIX or VAX to upload or download a file to and from
>micros?  I would appreciate any reply.

We use a home written XMODEM program.  Used on a VAX 750 with 4.2BSD.
I have posted source to the net in the past.  If enough requests come in
for it, I will repost to net.sources.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/28/85)

You need the a similar program (Kermit or Xmodem) running on the machine
you wish to talk to. These programs are available from many sources and
have many different features, so it's probably best to ask your system
administrator to install the appropriate program (Kermit or Xmodem) on the
system somewhere.

					- Ralph