[net.micro.pc] Multiple Hard Disks on the PC

igielski@mmm.UUCP (Tom Igielski) (11/26/85)

If I have a PC/XT with a 10 MByte hard drive, can I add other (perhaps
external) hard drives?  Does DOS treat these drives as 'D:', etc.
If this is possible, what is the limit or any restrictions on doing this.

Thank you.

Tom Igielski

b-davis@utah-cs.UUCP (Brad Davis) (11/27/85)

In article <335@mmm.UUCP> igielski@mmm.UUCP (Tom Igielski) writes:
>If I have a PC/XT with a 10 MByte hard drive, can I add other (perhaps
>external) hard drives?  Does DOS treat these drives as 'D:', etc.
>If this is possible, what is the limit or any restrictions on doing this.

I once took an off the shelf 10 meg ST 506 type drive and added it to
an XT with the following problems:

	Your power supply probably can't handle the start up current
		for both drives.  You might need another (or bigger)
		power supply.  You will need power cables.

	The cable is only long enough to place the other hard disk in
		place of the floppy.  The XT will NOT boot without the
		floppy.  I placed the floppy on top of the computer
		with a dust cover over it.  Its cables are just barely
		long enough.

The drive is D:.  You will need to do a real format (not the FORMAT
command, the BIOS call), an FDISK run, and a FORMAT.

P.S.  The rule about data filling any available disk is true.

--

			Brad Davis
			{ihnp4, decvax, seismo}!utah-cs!b-davis

arh@bdaemon.UUCP (arh) (11/28/85)

> If I have a PC/XT with a 10 MByte hard drive, can I add other (perhaps
> external) hard drives?  Does DOS treat these drives as 'D:', etc.
> If this is possible, what is the limit or any restrictions on doing this.
> Thank you.
> Tom Igielski

The IBM (really Xebec) fixed-disk controller is cabable of
handling two hard disks, each of which may be 5, 10, 15, or 26
megabytes in formatted capacity.

My article in the March 1985 PC Tech Journal has some useful
pointers in it about converting old PCs to XT compatibilty.
Adding a second hard disk is not too much of a problem.  The
article is called "The Making of an XT".

Augie Hansen
Contributing Editor, PC Tech Journal
{allegra|amd|attunix|cbosgd|ucbvax|ut-sally}!nbires!bdaemon!arh

hilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/30/85)

yes, make sure your drive is set for 'd' and I would suggest
leaving the resistor packs on both drives.
yes