[net.micro.pc] XT & BERNOULLI BOX Incompatible????!!!

egapmh@ecsvax.UUCP (Paul M. Hudy) (12/04/85)

*****RESPONSE TO FOLLOWING ARTICLE*******

**********************************

Date: Wed, 27 Nov 85 15:14:56 PST
From: ihnp4!aicchi!mdb@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
To: ihnp4!info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: New XT Motherboard Incompatible with IOMEGA Bernoulli Box

The new rev of the ibm pc-xt motherboard (the copper colored one) also
does not work with the full-size (non-auto-boot) controler for the
IOMEGA Bernoulli Box Cartridge Drives.  It *does* hoever, work with
the short-card auto-boot controller.
   From what I understand after talking to both ibm and iomega, what
happened is a change in bus timing.  (Sound familiar, apple users? :-)

	Mike Blackwell
	ihnp4!aicchi!mdb

------------------------------

    Is this true netland?   This certainly made my heart stop as we
just put in a P.O. for a floppy drive PCXT with the plans to also
buy a Bernoulli Box to use with it.  Are all XT motherboards created
equal?  Are they all "new" from now on or should I open up our
machine before I accept it?
   Also, clear me up on the issue of Bernoulli Box controllers.  I had
read that there are 2 controllers, pretty much as the above message
described, but our dealer (names are witheld to protect the heretofore
innocent) keeps talking about a single controller card ($171) and
an optional autoboot ROM ($95).  Whats the story?  Are we getting
bad info, etc ?
    *ANY* information on the above would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
-Paul M. Hudy
 <egapmh@ecsvax>
 UNC-General Admin.