[net.micro.pc] XT mother board change: update

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/26/85)

[munch munch munch mucnh  Those old words sure taste good]

A little bit ago I posted a note about IBM changing the XT mother board.
Well, they did, but it wasn't the cause of my problem.  After making a few
phone calls and checking from scratch, I have discovered my real problem.
The 20 MB hard disk was not communicating with the OMTI controller.

What lead me in the wrong direction, and a few others in my work area,
was the fact that the OMTI controller board would give the same error
with or without the hard disk attached.  Another manufacturer of controller
boards would see the non-connection of the hard disk, report an error right
away and the XT would continue with the boot-up process.  Because the OMTI
doesn't do that, I was lead in the wrong direction.

So now I have a hard disk that doesn't communicate.  Oh well, glad to find
out that there wasn't a design change.  But, at least I discovered how
another board operates without a disk attached.  Makes for a lousy trouble-
shooting tool, ie, the controller gives the same error, with or without a
hard disk attached.

Isn't science wonderful! :-)
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (11/29/85)

In article <442@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
>A little bit ago I posted a note about IBM changing the XT mother board.
>Well, they did, but it wasn't the cause of my problem.

What changes have been made to the motherboard?
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: {allegra|decvax|duke|floyd|linus|ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!george
BELL: (416)475-8980

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/04/85)

In article <2727@mnetor.UUCP> george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>In article <442@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
>>A little bit ago I posted a note about IBM changing the XT mother board.
>>Well, they did, but it wasn't the cause of my problem.
>
>What changes have been made to the motherboard?

The one that had the mods on it appeared to change something with the DMA
controller.  Since I don't have a schematic, I couldn't trace it out.

Anyone who did could respond here.