[net.micro.pc] Hard Drive partitioning... >10Meg

dillon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/07/85)

	MS-DOS Dos 2.1 has no problem handling a 20Meg Hard-drive.  I
bought a 20Meg Computer-Memories drive from Qubie and it works just
fine.  You simply use the supplied FDISK and partition the entire disk.
THEN you format it (that is, you format it after you partition it)

	However, Dos 2.X does have a problem.  It can't deal with disk
errors above the 16Meg mark.... it freezes up.

	Certainly I could be wrong, but I doubt DIR would say '21233664'
bytes free' if it wasn't a 20Meg drive.

	As far as 3.X goes, I myself am going to wait a short while, about
a year, before getting it.  I've heard many people complain that it's full
of bugs.  Have any of you had problems with it?

					-Matt

pier@ur-tut.UUCP (Pierre Darmon) (12/08/85)

In article <11170@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dillon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	As far as 3.X goes, I myself am going to wait a short while, about
>a year, before getting it.  I've heard many people complain that it's full
>of bugs.  Have any of you had problems with it?
>
>					-Matt
I have been using DOS 3.0 for over a year and 3.1 for over 5 months with no
problem whatsoever.

Pierre Darmon
University of Rochester
{allegra|decvax|seismo}!rochester!ur-tut!pier