[net.micro.pc] XTALK 3.6 and Kermit

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (12/03/85)

XTALK version 3.6 is supposed to support Kermit. I've tried it with a
Kermit server on a DEC-20 without success. The XTALK support people say
they've tried it (on another mainframe) with success. Does anyone have
any ideas as to where I might start looking for the problem? (Let me
add that I have been using version 2.0 of MS-DOS Kermit on an IBM PC to
talk to Kermit on the same DEC-20 without any problem at all.)

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (12/05/85)

> XTALK version 3.6 is supposed to support Kermit.

How about Hayes Smartcom II version 2?  It has a VT100 emulation, also.
Has anyone had any experience with it supporting Kermit??

How about either one to a Pyramid ?

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/06/85)

In article <1412@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:

>XTALK version 3.6 is supposed to support Kermit. I've tried it with a
>Kermit server on a DEC-20 without success. The XTALK support people say
>they've tried it (on another mainframe) with success. Does anyone have
>any ideas as to where I might start looking for the problem? (Let me
>add that I have been using version 2.0 of MS-DOS Kermit on an IBM PC to
>talk to Kermit on the same DEC-20 without any problem at all.)

You might wish to download YAMDEMO.LQR from Telegodzilla at 503-621-3746.
This contains a more complete Kermit implementation, including about a
dozen server access commands.  When running YAM/YAMDEMO's Kermit, be sure
the parity setting (8n, 7e, 7m, etc.) matches what your mainframe Kermit
expects.  If perchance it doesn't work properly, I'd like to hear about it.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

rct@occrsh.UUCP (12/08/85)

/* Written 12:58 pm  Dec  3, 1985 by cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP in occrsh.UUCP:net.micro.pc */
/* ---------- "XTALK 3.6 and Kermit" ---------- */

XTALK version 3.6 is supposed to support Kermit. I've tried it with a
Kermit server on a DEC-20 without success. The XTALK support people say
they've tried it (on another mainframe) with success. Does anyone have
any ideas as to where I might start looking for the problem? (Let me
add that I have been using version 2.0 of MS-DOS Kermit on an IBM PC to
talk to Kermit on the same DEC-20 without any problem at all.)
/* End of text from occrsh.UUCP:net.micro.pc */

Getting one Kermit to talk to another on different machines is sometimes
a pretty sticky proposition due to what the involved hardware does with
the eighth bit.  You might try fiddling with the parity settings on both
ends.  The default "PARITY=none" doesn't make it for many of the machine
combinations we've tried it on here at OKC.  When nothing else seemed to
work, "PARITY=mark" usually did.  Forcing the software to do something
with the 8th bit is generally a good idea, because you normally can't
make any assumptions about what the hardware is going to do with it.
DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried XTALK version 3.6, so I can't say whether
this will help or not.

--Bob Tracy				AT&T Network Systems
...!ihnp4!okc_5b!occrsh!rct		Oklahoma City Works

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (12/13/85)

In answer to my own question, XTALK 3.6 and Kermit are compatible *IF*
you set up Crosstalk so that data bits are eight and parity is none: 7
data bits won't work.
--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		    lib.cb%chip@UChicago.Bitnet