[net.micro.pc] DOS 3.xx bugs

bet@ecsvax.UUCP (Bennett E. Todd III) (12/10/85)

In article <281@ur-tut> pier@ur-tut (Pierre Darmon) writes:
>In article <11170@ucbvax> dillon@ucbvax (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>
>>	As far as 3.X goes, I myself am going to wait a short while, about
>>a year, before getting it.  I've heard many people complain that it's full
>>of bugs.  Have any of you had problems with it?
>>
>>					-Matt
>I have been using DOS 3.0 for over a year and 3.1 for over 5 months with no
>problem whatsoever.
>
>Pierre Darmon
>University of Rochester
>{allegra|decvax|seismo}!rochester!ur-tut!pier

I've used every version of IBM-PC DOS; the only stable, reasonably
reliable versions I've seen were 1.10 and 2.10. 1.00 Was atrocious; 2.00
was missing the zero-divide interrupt handler; 3.00 and 3.10 have broken
backup/restore commands. Doesn't look like IBM is planning on releasing
a DOS 3.20, and IBM hasn't gotten ANY version X.00 out the door without
serious bugs, so if reliability is a concern I'd have to recommend you
stay with 2.10, until maybe 4.10 comes out.

-Bennett
--

"Hypocrisy is the vaseline of social intercourse." (Who said that?)

Bennett Todd -- Duke Computation Center, Durham, NC 27706-7756; (919) 684-3695
UUCP: ...{decvax,seismo,philabs,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!duccpc!bet

c55-hc@ucbbuddy.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (12/12/85)

In article <885@ecsvax.UUCP> duccpc!bet@ecsvax.UUCP (Bennett E. Todd III) writes:
>3.00 and 3.10 have broken backup/restore commands.

I do software development on an AT running 3.10, and had a similar
problem with backup/restore.  It turned out that the problem wasn't
with backup/restore at all, but with one of the memory-resident
programs (in this case, NOKEY) that I was using.  If I boot without
programs cause this type of behavior or not.  Sidekick doesn't cause
any problems.

Hopefully helpfully,

Brent Chapman
ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman

pier@ur-tut.UUCP (Pierre Darmon) (12/13/85)

In article <11208@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman writes:
>In article <885@ecsvax.UUCP> duccpc!bet@ecsvax.UUCP (Bennett E. Todd III) writes:
>>3.00 and 3.10 have broken backup/restore commands.
>
>I do software development on an AT running 3.10, and had a similar
>problem with backup/restore.  It turned out that the problem wasn't
>with backup/restore at all, but with one of the memory-resident
>programs (in this case, NOKEY) that I was using.  If I boot without
>programs cause this type of behavior or not.  Sidekick doesn't cause
>any problems.
>
>Hopefully helpfully,
>
>Brent Chapman
>ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman

When I was using DOS 3.0, NOKEY did not cause me any problem (I was not using
BACKUP though, but BACKUP had a bug which was fixed in DOS 3.1). When I
upgraded to 3.1, if NOKEY was loaded and if I was trying to access drive a:
(through a DIR command for instance) the drive would start spinning forever.
I could not even reboot. I had to turn the machine (an AT by the way) down.
Removing NOKEY solved the problem.