[net.micro.pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V4 #136

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (12/09/85)

In article <siurd%vax3.acs.udel.edu@Louie.UDEL.EDU> ANDERSON writes:
>_____________________   _________________
>|                   |   |               |   The Type 2 system board
>|                   |   |               |   has two columns of nine
>|                   |   |               |   256K chips rather than
>|                   |   |               |   four rows of nine 128K
>|                   |   |               |   (stacked 64K) chips.
>|                   |   |               |
>| [[[[[[[[[         |   |  - -          |   The Type 2 board is not
>| [[[[[[[[[         |   |  - -          |   as wide, and the ICs on
>| [[[[[[[[[         |   |  - -          |   the board are packed
>| [[[[[[[[[ |-------|   |  - -     |----|   more closely.
>-------------           ------------
>      Type 1                 Type 2
>
>Has anyone actually SEEN a "Type 2" system board?  Is this related
>directly or indirectly to the 30MB AT model or the new ROM chips?

I have heard a rumour that IBM has deliberately made certain changes to
the new rev ROM chips to determine the speed of the 286 & clock.
According to the rumour, these chips will not work in machines that
have been upgraded. The rumoured reason behind this is that IBM was
planning their own upgrade kit (consisting of faster 286 & clock) and
was extremely distressed when they found everybody was doing this
themselves (for peanuts compared to what IBM would charge).

Has anybody heard anything to substantiate this?
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: {allegra|decvax|duke|floyd|linus|ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!george
BELL: (416)475-8980

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (12/14/85)

actually, putting something in the ROMs to deliberatly torpedo faster
operation kinda makes sense from a field support standpoint.  I'm sure
IBM doesn't want to get called out to a place where someone uped the
speed of a system to 8MHz, and then left it to someone naive, who was grateful
for the speedup until one day...Of course, I wouldn't want someone putting
these timing loops in my AT (if I had one...)
--
remember, if you do it yourself, sooner or later you'll need a bigger hammer

Ken Shoemaker, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.