[net.micro.pc] 800 IBM-PCSW

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (12/13/85)

I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier posting, but...

An IBMer recently told me that if you order Personal Editor or Word
Proof through "normal channels" you will get older, inferior versions of
those products (!).  To get the latest, order by calling (800) IBM-PCSW,
which is IBM's "personally developed software" center.  Bonus:  The
price of the improved software is ABOUT HALF that of the older stuff!
The only disadvantage is that the documentation is on the diskette
rather than in a preprinted manual.

Amazing.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (12/16/85)

In article <911@ecsvax.UUCP>, dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
> I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier posting, but...
>
> An IBMer recently told me that if you order Personal Editor or Word
> Proof through "normal channels" you will get older, inferior versions of
> those products (!).  To get the latest, order by calling (800) IBM-PCSW,
> which is IBM's "personally developed software" center.  Bonus:  The
> price of the improved software is ABOUT HALF that of the older stuff!
> The only disadvantage is that the documentation is on the diskette
> rather than in a preprinted manual.

   It's true.  Anyone who uses PE should call this number IMMEDIATELY,
as the newer version is vastly improved, and only available there. They've
also got one of the neater PC utilities available, PC-WATCH, which monitors
and reports the activity of all the interrupts as they occur.  Watch DOS
do funny things!

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

johnl@ima.UUCP (12/18/85)

/* Written 11:49 am  Dec 13, 1985 by dgary@ecsvax in ima:net.micro.pc */
>An IBMer recently told me that if you order Personal Editor or Word
>Proof through "normal channels" you will get older, inferior versions of
>those products (!).  To get the latest, order by calling (800) IBM-PCSW,
>which is IBM's "personally developed software" center.  Bonus:  The
>price of the improved software is ABOUT HALF that of the older stuff!

This is the IBM "personally developed software" catalog order department.
It sells stuff written by individuals but marketed by IBM.  They have a
cute little catalog with pictures of all of the authors and descriptions
of the programs, all of which are very cheap, usually about $20.  Some of
it is good stuff -- one of my favorites is "Print buffer online" which is
a program that lets you use part of your computer's memory as a print
buffer and has the advantage over the "print" command that it automatically
buffers everything sent to the printer.  There are also games, debuggers,
programming utilities, and other stuff.  Call and ask for the catalog.

John Levine, ima!johnl

PS:  Oh, yes, the best program is a $19.95 gem called file facility which
gives you something like the PATH command for your data and overlay files,
allowing you to structure your hard disk with reasonable directories even
though you have silly old software that knows nothing about them.