[net.micro.pc] Kermit and TAC problems

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) (12/16/85)

[]

In article <148@aero.ARPA> jennings@aero.UUCP (Richard K. Jennings) writes:
>I have been trying to get my PC-AT to transfer files using
>MS-Kermit versions 2.26-8.  Things are fine over the phone...
>
>There is a nasty TAC (which eats '@') between the PC and the
>VAX, and I suspect Kermit uses '@' for something.  Is their...

KERMIT must do something with the '@' since it does indeed mess things up.
You need to change the TAC Identification Code from the @ to something else.
You can do this at the TAC by saying @i 25.  This changes the recognition
character to a ^y.  Of course, then you have to type a ^yo 123.45.6.7 (or
whatever number) instead of the @o number.
Alternately, you could log onto the system first and then type the command
@i 25.  Then go about your merry transfers.  Hope this helps...

--
Any opinions expressed above are soley my own and have NO connection with the
thoughts of NOSC, NAVELEX, or the U.S. Government to the above subject.

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (12/18/85)

From jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) Mon Dec 16 11:17:35 1985
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc
Subject: Re: Kermit and TAC problems

> >I have been trying to get my PC-AT to transfer files using
> >MS-Kermit versions 2.26-8.  Things are fine over the phone...
> >
> >There is a nasty TAC (which eats '@') between the PC and the
> >VAX, and I suspect Kermit uses '@' for something.  Is their...
>
> KERMIT must do something with the '@' since it does indeed mess things up.
> You need to change the TAC Identification Code from the @ to something else.
> You can do this at the TAC by saying @i 25.  This changes the recognition
> character to a ^y.  Of course, then you have to type a ^yo 123.45.6.7 (or
> whatever number) instead of the @o number.
> Alternately, you could log onto the system first and then type the command
> @i 25.  Then go about your merry transfers.  Hope this helps...

When you are using Kermit to send files to a host through a TAC, you also
have to worry about the overunning the miniscule input buffer on the TAC,
which exceeds KERMIT's standard packet length.  I set the send packet length
on my PC (and the receive packet-length on the host) to 40, and find that
this works fine.  You might be able to use a larger number, but I haven't
done enough experimentation to determine the maximum.  Naturally, you don't
have to worry about this problem if you're getting material from the host.

TACs also have the habit of mucking about with the eigth bit, so if you
want to transmit binary files, make sure you set 8th-bit quoting by setting
the parity to even or odd  (mark might work too).
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207