[net.micro.pc] How do I steer COM1: to LPT1: ?

johnco@mako.UUCP (John M. Cole) (11/28/85)

I am trying to get my KAYPRO II to talk to my Corona PC, and redirect the
output to my printer, to be able to get printouts. I am using the RS-232
port on the Kaypro, but to no avail. Something along the order of "copy
com1 lpt" would be nice, but that doesn't seem to work. Any program (or
direction towards one, or ??) would be greatly appreciated.

			Thanks in advance,
				John

rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) (12/01/85)

One  simple  way  to  direct  COM1  to  LPT1  is  to use Kermit. We have
successfully used this method. You need a Kermit on each machine. On the
machine with the printer, set up Kermit in server mode with  all  output
directed  to  LPT1. On  the  other  machine,  just  send any files to be
printed.

Crude, but it works....
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

keifer@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/01/85)

If the stuff you want to go to the printer is coming to the screen,
why not just press Ctrl-PrtSc to get simultaneous dump to the printer?
Just run a simple terminal program on the MS-DOS machine and turn on
the printing.

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (12/16/85)

In article <423@ukc.UUCP>, rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) writes:

> One  simple  way  to  direct  COM1  to  LPT1  is  to use Kermit....
>
> Crude, but it works....
> --
>            Bob Eager
>
>            rde@ukc.UUCP
>            rde@ukc
>            ...!mcvax!ukc!rde
>
>            Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

    Yes, it is a little crude. On our pc xt we have an autoexec file
that includes the following line:

                    mode lpt1:=com1:

    It is the mode command that does all the work of changing the
printer output to com1.
    Hope this helps.

rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) (12/20/85)

When  I  suggested using Kermit to redirect LPT1 output, I was answering
what I thought was the question - namely, how to redirect COM1 output to
LPT1. If what was actually wanted was to redirect LPT1 output  to  COM1,
then by all means use the MODE command.....
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc