[net.micro.pc] Copy Protection

4640la@uf-csg.UUCP (Leor Amikam [cop4640]) (09/12/84)

	I was wondering if anybody was interested about
a copy protection scheme for PC-DOS using sector re-formatting.
I am also interested in any other protection schemes that
might be possible.

jaj@uvaee.UUCP (James A. Jokl) (12/04/85)

A friend who is not on the net asked me to post this.  He is about to begin
selling a data base application designed to run on IBM PCs and compatables,
and wishes that it be copy protected.  Will anyone with information on where
to purchase such copy protection software/hardware please respond to me by
mail.  If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize to the net.

                                James Jokl
CSNET:   jaj@virginia
ARPANET: jaj%virginia@csnet-relay.ARPA
USENET:  ....!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!uvaee!jaj
		 ....!ucbvax!calma!edison!uvaee!jaj

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/06/85)

In article <506@uvaee.UUCP> jaj@uvaee.UUCP (James A. Jokl) writes:

>A friend who is not on the net asked me to post this.  He is about to begin
>selling a data base application designed to run on IBM PCs and compatables,
>and wishes that it be copy protected.  Will anyone with information on where
>to purchase such copy protection software/hardware please respond to me by
>mail.  If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize to the net.

I realize that you wanted e-mail about this, but I do want to get this point
on to everyone.  Now, this is personal opinion, so take that in mind.

If I were you, I would tell your friend to forget it.  Some companies all
ready have.  Because of hard disks, and the fact that they do fail, any
copy protection scheme that puts something up there (like Softguard on Lotus
123, and others), will have problems if the disk fails.  You will have
to either reformat or replace it.  The protection information is then lost.
More trouble than it is worth.

But, here is the biggest reason of all.  Copy protection doesn't really
protect anything.  Why?  Because soon after a new copy protection scheme is
put onto a diskette, someone in computer land figures it out and gets
around it.  The cure is then placed upon BBS systems around the country.
Case in point:  Lotus 123, version 2.0, contains Softguard copy protection,
version 2.03A.  The way around it has been on BBSs for quite awhile now.

Do you really think that it is worth the extra expense putting copy protection
on a program (using professionally generated protection schemes like Softguard),
when someone out there will break it?  Sell it at a reasonable price and you
won't have to.

End of opinion.  [Here come the flames :-(]
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/07/85)

[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]

> A friend who is not on the net asked me to post this.  He is about to begin
> selling a data base application designed to run on IBM PCs and compatables,
> and wishes that it be copy protected.  Will anyone with information on where
> to purchase such copy protection software/hardware please respond to me by
> mail.  If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize to the net.

I would advise your friend to take a page from the Borland Success Story, and
put copy protection where it belongs ... in GOOD documentation, and GOOD
technical support (i.e., you only provide technical support and/or product
upgrades to Registered owners), with special "site" licenses for corporations
and schools, if the product warrents it.

[ climbing onto the soapbox, again ... ]

This prevents Hard-Disk Hassles, reduces product cost, improves reliability,
improves customer relations, and promotes good-will.  ANY copy-protection
scheme (or, more accurately, execution-protection scheme) can and will be
be "cracked".  This is a fact of life.  The rational approach is to make the
best of a stuation that cannot be changed (unless you find a way to alter
human nature), and to find ways of cutting your losses ... WITHOUT BURDENING
YOUR CUSTOMERS, OR ASSUMING THEY ARE ALL THIEVES!

I'm sure that Borland *has* lost some sales, but then nearly every company
that sells a product has some "shoplifting" to contend with ... its a fact of
life, and is factored into their markup.  All in all, I don't think they
(Borland) has done too badly ... you ought to see their offices in Scotts
Valley!

Copy-protection only harms the honest user ... if one wants to break ANY
scheme, one can (and that includes Dongles).  Kind of reminds me of the
East vs. West arms race, and is just as stupid!

[ steps down off soapbox ... ]

Please tell your friend to at least consider the Borland Methodology as
an alternative.

/kim

Disclaimer:

Not necessarily the opinion of my employer ... but then, they DON'T buy
software that's copy-protected, either!

Gotcha:

This has been a "Licensed" posting.  If you have read even so much as the
first line, you have agreed to agree with whatever I want you to agree with.
The fact that you are reading THIS line is construed to be an indication of
your acceptance of this Agreement.  The fact that you did not know you were
doing this at the time is of no importance whatsoever, and is just your bad
luck.

Specifically, you are prohibited from "disassembling" or otherwise "reverse
engineering" this posting.  You may not use any words contained herein in any
manner whatsoever without the written permission of the Author.  Likewise,
you may not correct any misspellings, gramatical errors, or otherwise alter
any character or string of characters in this posting.  Participating in (or
aiding in the participation of) one of the above acts will compromise valuable
Trade Secrets of the Author, and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent
of the Easter Bunny.

I, on the other hand, have agreed to nothing, and make no promises of any kind
to you or your agents or representitives.  I provide no Guarantee, Warranty,
or any other form of Encumbrance upon myself to do anything for you at all.

If you have questions or comments concerning this License, you are encouraged
to call me at 1-900-555-9979;  if the music repeats itself more than 19 times,
my line is probably out-of-service, so just try again later.  Please have the
Message number, Path, and Mailer revision number of this posting available.
Also, your name, address, telephone number, credit-card number, age, sex,
marital-status, birth-certificate number, and passport number will be required.
You are advised not to call unless this information is available, as I will
insist that you call back.  Only one call per reader per posting per month
will be permitted.

Thank you for selecting this posting to read;  I hope you will enjoy it!
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (12/07/85)

>A friend who is not on the net asked me to post this.  He is about to begin
>selling a data base application designed to run on IBM PCs and compatables,
>and wishes that it be copy protected.  Will anyone with information on where
>to purchase such copy protection software/hardware please respond to me by
>mail.  If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize to the net.
>
>                                James Jokl

Tell your friend that if he wants his program to continue to sell, he
should not copy protect it.  Think of this:  Copy protection may be
an arguable measure from the vendor's point of view, but what does the
customer gain from it?  Is there a reason to conduct ANY business
transaction if the CUSTOMER is not well served?

Remember the lesson from Economics 101:  The value of a good or
service is not what it cost to produce but by what you can get for
it.

Tom Reingold

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (12/07/85)

In article <456@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <506@uvaee.UUCP> jaj@uvaee.UUCP (James A. Jokl) writes:
>>
>>A friend ...
>>selling a daTa Base Application Designed To Run on IBM PCs and compatables,
>>and wishes that it be copy protected.  ...
>
> . . .
>
>If I were you, I would tell your friend to forget it.  ...

Consider the motion seconded.

Couldn't have said it better myself... :-)

>...  The cure is then placed upon BBS systems around the country.

There are MANY BBSs with entire file sections devoted to unprotects.
My favorite is prounlok, which permantly mangles PROLOK protection.
But seriously, the lag time from release to hack is not long - maybe
a month or so. Then the hack gets distributed and people implement it
as if the software wasn't protected at all, and like the unprotect is
some sort of dumb setup program. From then on: protection, NO. Pain
in the *ss, *YES*. Point made.

>End of opinion.  [Here come the flames :-(]

No flame here...
--
_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
 -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_-

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.
ejb@think.com.arpa    (617) 643-0732              Cambridge, MA)

"I was walking in a forest one day and a tree fell in front of me,
 and I didn't hear it."

kvk@ihlpm.UUCP (Kevin) (12/08/85)

> A friend who is not on the net asked me to post this.  He is about to begin
> selling a data base application designed to run on IBM PCs and compatables,
> and wishes that it be copy protected.  Will anyone with information on where
> to purchase such copy protection software/hardware please respond to me by
> mail.  If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize to the net.
>
>                                 James Jokl

The December PC Tech Journal has an excellent article entitled "The Futility
of Copy Protection" by David Small, which discusses numerous protection
methods and how companies/people have gotten around them. Ignoring the issue of
whether software should be copy-protected or not, I think from reading the
article you can  1) Get an idea of what methods haven't worked so far,
2) Get an idea of how to copy-protect your own software using an existing
method, and 3) deduce that no matter what you do, the best you can hope for is
to keep your product copy-proof for 3-6 months.

						Kevin Kinder
						ihnp4!ihlpm!kvk

The above comments are solely my own, and are not those of my employer, my
family, or my dog Woody, although Woody agrees with me on most things.

johnl@ima.UUCP (12/09/85)

In article <506@uvaee.UUCP> jaj@uvaee.UUCP (James A. Jokl) writes:
>A friend ...
>selling a Data Base Application Designed To Run on IBM PCs and compatables,
>and wishes that it be copy protected.  ...

Since there has been a great outpouring against copy protection here, I will
try to paint the other side of the picture.  Not to say that copy protection
is a wonderful thing, but there are, unfortunately, good reasons why you
would want to do it.

First, it is certainly true that no matter how clever your copy protection
is, people will figure out how to break it in a matter of months.  However,
just because it has been broken doesn't mean that every potential customer or
even most potential customers have access to a broken copy, so copy protection
does mean that many potential copiers will be deterred.  I wish that I could
believe that most people are honest and will not copy software illegally, but
I can't.  I mean, I know people who've gone into elementary schools and found
that the first thing small children are taught to do with their Apples is to
make illegal copies of various educational programs to use.  The usual excuse
is that they can't afford all of the software they want.

Somehow, even the moderate level of morality that prevails today seems to
go completely out the window where software is concerned.  (I can't afford
all of the fine oil paintings that I want, either, but that doesn't mean
that I steal them from art galleries.  Really, now, the cost for the canvas
and paint for a painting can't be more than ten bucks, so how can they
possibly justify charging $1,000 for it?  Ditto for limited edition
lithographs.  But I digress.) Any canned copy protection scheme you can buy
such as Prolok or Softguard has already been broken, so if you're serious
about copy protection, you'll get at least a semi-custom one so that
existing copy programs can't copy it.  I can send along some names if need
be.

Second, you have to keep in mind the needs of the user when you implement
your copy protection scheme.  Allow hard disk installation, without needing
the key disk to start up.  Allow de-installation, so the user can move to
another machine.  Allow an extra install, for the poor user whose disk
suddenly gets amnesia.  Include a backup copy of the key disk in the
package.  When users call up with copy protection problems, tend to believe
them.  You have the names of your callers, after all.

Third, good manuals go a long way toward encouraging people to buy legal
copies of your program.  The temptation to pirate is much greater when you
know that if you got a legal copy, you wouldn't be any better off because
the manual is worthless.  Similarly, provide good technical support for
your registered users.  Let people register over the phone, if they haven't
gotten around to sending in their registration card.

The only things that will resolve the current copy protection mess is 1) a
distribution medium that is easy to use, unlikely to fail, and hard to copy,
and 2) a software market that is large enough and mature enough that authors
can expect to make a living selling software for $10 to $50.  We may be nearing
the latter, but the former is nowhere near in sight, unless CD ROMs are an
unexpected hit.

John Levine, Javelin Software, Cambridge MA 617-494-1400
{ decvax!cca | think | ihnp4 | cbosgd }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.ARPA

The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken
into my account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (12/10/85)

While I don't like copy protection either, some of the myths posted
merit a response.

Myth 1:	Since copy protection schemes are broken soon and the technique
	posted on BBSs within a few weeks, they serve no purpose.
Fact:	Copy protection schemes don't deter sophisticated users who call
	BBSs and so forth, but they deter the overwhelming majority of
	unsophisticated, lazy users.  They don't stop theft but they do
	slow it up.

Myth 2:	Companies who copy protect their software think all their
	customers are crooks.
Fact:	Nope, they just know a lot of them are.  And if you think
	they're mistaken, look around.

Myth 3: If companies would price their products within reason, it would
	deter piracy.
Fact:	How much does the Microsoft Flight Simulator cost?  How many
	pirated copies have you seen?  I rest my case.

I repeat that I'm AGAINST copy protection, but I understand why
companies resort to it (it's an inconvenience and an expense to them,
too, you know).  Someone said something about it reminding him of the
arms race.  Right ho!  And just as difficult to see a solution that
doesn't involve re-engineering human nature.

--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

In article <131300002@ima.UUCP> johnl@ima.UUCP writes:
>Third, good manuals go a long way toward encouraging people to buy legal
>copies of your program.  The temptation to pirate is much greater when you
>know that if you got a legal copy, you wouldn't be any better off because
>the manual is worthless.

Note that user-friendly, intuitive programs that don't NEED manuals
encourage copying.  I think this is why more and more games are designed
to be unplayable without the manual.
--

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (12/10/85)

> In article <131300002@ima.UUCP> johnl@ima.UUCP writes:
> >Third, good manuals go a long way toward encouraging people to buy legal
> >copies of your program.  The temptation to pirate is much greater when you
> >know that if you got a legal copy, you wouldn't be any better off because
> >the manual is worthless.
>
> Note that user-friendly, intuitive programs that don't NEED manuals
> encourage copying.  I think this is why more and more games are designed
> to be unplayable without the manual.
> --
> D Gary Grady

   NOW I realize what is happening.  A necessary manual is a dongle which
doesn't have to be (electrically) plugged into the CPU.

--henry schaffer

gbs@voder.UUCP (George Smith) (12/10/85)

In article <131300002@ima.UUCP>, johnl@ima.UUCP writes:

> Since there has been a great outpouring against copy protection here, I will
> try to paint the other side of the picture.  Not to say that copy protection
> is a wonderful thing, but there are, unfortunately, good reasons why you
> would want to do it.
>
> ... you have to keep in mind the needs of the user when you implement
> your copy protection scheme.

AHH!  This is the heart of the matter.  The poor soul who pays their
hard earned cash is THE ONE THAT IS PUNISHED!  Not the people who
break legal and moral laws.  The person that paid for the software
has to put up with stupid key desks, never knowing when the master
disk is about to go bad (always at a critical time).  The person that
steals the software has no such worries.  Copy protection just hinders
the legal purchaser in using the software and they are the ones who
deserve far better.  Hasn't Borland shown software vendors the light yet?

> ... good manuals go a long way toward encouraging people to buy legal
> copies of your program.

Another point that Borland has taken care of very nicely.  The format
that they use for their manuals is pretty much copy resistant for thiefs
(note the correct term for a thief is "thief" - not "pirate" or "copier").
And their manuals are easy to produce in quantity, easy to package for
shipment, easy to store, convenient to keep by the computer, etc, etc.

> The only things that will resolve the current copy protection mess is ...
> ... a software market that is large enough and mature enough that authors
> can expect to make a living selling software for $10 to $50.

Again, Borland has already shown the World that the time is ALREADY here.
Borland products list anywhere from $35 to $99 but are readily available
at large discounts.  From all accounts in newspapers, magazines, and even
television, Borland is doing QUITE well (thank goodness there is some
sense in the world).

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/11/85)

>                               Allow hard disk installation, without needing
> the key disk to start up.  Allow de-installation, so the user can move to
> another machine.  Allow an extra install, for the poor user whose disk
> suddenly gets amnesia.  Include a backup copy of the key disk in the
> package.

All this should *only* add $40-$50 at the retail level, and increase the
development time of the s/w, and decrease the reliability of the s/w, and
make testing the s/w that much more difficult, AND BE COPIABLE WITHIN 3
MONTHS OR LESS ANYWAY!  Oh yes, and *many* people, particularly corporations,
simply will not buy it.  Seems kinda silly to me ...

Only my opinions,

/kim
--

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (12/11/85)

> The only things that will resolve the current copy protection mess is 1) a
> distribution medium that is easy to use, unlikely to fail, and hard to copy,
> and 2) a software market that is large enough and mature enough that authors
> can expect to make a living selling software for $10 to $50.  We may be nearing
> the latter, but the former is nowhere near in sight, unless CD ROMs are an
> unexpected hit.

The only thing that will resolve the current copy protection mess is
a new morality that recognizes the fact that information is (a) valuable,
and (b) capable of being copied EXACTLY.  Present morality regards
theft as evil because it deprives others of property that they rightfully
own.  It is clear that copying something is really a different kind
of action from stealing it, and until we have formed a consistent
philosophical basis for reasoning what to do about such actions, these
problems will persist.

In re-reading this last paragraph, I realize it might look like I am
saying that copying information owned by others should be permitted
in general.  I am not.  I am, however, saying that the existence of
valuable information poses moral problems which we have so far
failed to address clearly.

33500911@sdcc13.UUCP ({|lit}) (12/13/85)

I've seen some interesting devices used on a friends computer. (Dare I mention
it's a Commodore 64.)  He has two programs from "Batteries Included" called
Paper Clip and Spell Pack.  To use them, he must insert a little blue thing
into the joystick port.

For the PC, I've seen a C compiler (Genesis, I think) that wouldn't
run until part of itself was loaded from a little box plugged into the
serial port.

I heard a rumor at last January's CES in Las Vegas to the effect
that IBM purchased a Sh**load of SONY CD MECHANISMS.  That might
make pirating (call it by it's real name) more difficult!

Lets redirect the discussion from "WRONG/RIGHT" to alternate
methods.
--

jennings@aero.ARPA (Richard K. Jennings) (12/13/85)

I have been trying to get my PC-AT to transfer files using
MS-Kermit versions 2.26-8.  Things are fine over the phone
to other PC's, but I can't get files transferred to a VAX
running C-Kermit.

There is a nasty TAC (which eats '@') between the PC and the
VAX, and I suspect Kermit uses '@' for something.  Is their
a quick and easy fix to my problem, and if so what is it?
Thanks,

Rich.

In article <131300002@ima.UUCP> johnl@ima.UUCP writes:

>In article <506@uvaee.UUCP> jaj@uvaee.UUCP (James A. Jokl) writes:
>>A friend ...
>>selling a Data Base Application Designed To Run on IBM PCs and compatables,
>>and wishes that it be copy protected.  ...
>
>Since there has been a great outpouring against copy protection here, I will
>try to paint the other side of the picture.
>
>Second, you have to keep in mind the needs of the user when you implement
>your copy protection scheme.  Allow hard disk installation, without needing
>the key disk to start up.  Allow de-installation, so the user can move to
>another machine.  Allow an extra install, for the poor user whose disk
>suddenly gets amnesia.  Include a backup copy of the key disk in the
>package.

	This is *vital*, I will *not* buy a program that does not meet
these *minimum* qualifications, that is unless I already have the copy
protection breaker so I can install it on my hard disk rationally!
Note that I am not talking about using the breaker to get an illegal
copy, I am talking about using it to get my legally purchased program
converted into a useable form.

>Third, good manuals go a long way toward encouraging people to buy legal
>copies of your program....  Similarly, provide good technical support for
>your registered users.  Let people register over the phone, if they haven't
>gotten around to sending in their registration card.

	Oh, and provide updates to registered users *very* cheaply,
especially if the update involves a significant bug fix. (When I say
very cheply, I am talking about only a small mark-up from the price of
the medium - like maybe $10).

>The only things that will resolve the current copy protection mess is 1) a
>distribution medium that is easy to use, unlikely to fail, and hard to copy,
>and 2) a software market that is large enough and mature enough that authors
>can expect to make a living selling software for $10 to $50.  We may be nearing
>the latter, but the former is nowhere near in sight, unless CD ROMs are an
>unexpected hit.

	Actually, I find #1 unacceptable, as you said above it is
important to allow machine migration and installation on hard disk. It
is also vital that the user *not* be required to insert some special
object to run the program, if a person owns more than a handful of
such programs the pain of juggling the inserts will get out of hand.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

In article <392@sdcc13.UUCP> 33500911@sdcc13.UUCP (Jim Hayes) writes:
>I've seen some interesting devices used on a friends computer. (Dare I mention
>it's a Commodore 64.)  He has two programs from "Batteries Included" called
>Paper Clip and Spell Pack.  To use them, he must insert a little blue thing
>into the joystick port.
>
>For the PC, I've seen a C compiler (Genesis, I think) that wouldn't
>run until part of itself was loaded from a little box plugged into the
>serial port.

	Not acceptable, this is *no* different than requiring a key
disk for the program to run. Look, when I am working on a project i
commonly/regularly switch back and forth among an extended set of
programs. If they all required this sort of an insert I would be
shuffling the inserts all the time. What a PAIN, especially since my
main reson for getting a hard disk was to *avoid* that very activity.
I repeat, I *will* *not* *purchase* *any* program that requires any
sort of a locking device to operate, period! When I *buy* a program I
want to use it *freely*, without hinderence. If you can come up with a
copy protection scheme that imposes *no* limits *whatever* on
legitimate users it might be acceptable.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

c55-hc@ucbbuddy.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (12/15/85)

I'd be interested in hearing some comments on how the coming of
read-only laser disks to the market will affect the copy protection
situation.  It seems to me that these disks would be reasonably
hard to duplicate.  If manufacturers can bring the prices down,
we may yet have a viable alternative to copy protection, other
than totally open software.

Personally, for most of the work I do, I prefer not just unprotected
disks, but source code, as well.  In the micro world, about the only
place you can get source is public domain, or from certain companies
such as Beagle Brothers.  While the quality of Beagle Bros. software
is excellent, that is unfortunately untrue for most of the public
domain source I have encountered (I have a fairly extensive collection
of PD Pascal stuff for the IBM).

Brent Chapman
ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman

jra@jc3b21.UUCP (Jay R. Ashworth) (12/20/85)

Stanley Friesen writes:
... if a person owns more than two or three such packages, the pain of juggling
the inserts will get out of hand.

Also, consider the plight of the user who is running several packages at once,
under, say, TopView or GEM.  How does he get 5 disks into his a: drive at
once?
-- jra
(Disclaimer: TopView is a trademark of IBM, and GEM of DRI.  Neither of
them pays me any money.)
--
Jay R. Ashworth    	Proma Software   	jra@jc3b22.UUCP
Programmer/Analyst	9189 Park Blvd.		(813) 399-1045

<Disclaimer> <Disclaimer-Disclaimer>