[net.micro.pc] WordPerfect, TROFF, and the U.S. Navy DIF standard

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (12/25/85)

Christine King of Intermetrics writes:

>We need a way to exchange WordPerfect files and nroff files.  Does
>anybody know how to do this?

>It sure would be nice to be able to take an nroff input file, mess with
>it using WordPerfect and print the result on the laser printer.  And
>then take a WordPerfect file, send it to the VAX and add a bunch more
>text to it, then troff it to the laser printer.

>We'd like to preserve formatting info (like indents and stuff) and
>"hard" pagination and RETURN, but put off line wrapping, word spacing,
>page numbering, etc.

>What may make this a little easier is that WordPerfect already has a
>convert program that can deal with WordStar, DCA and DIF.

     I.M.S. (Integrated MicroComputer Systems of Rockville, Md.) has the
primary contract with DONOACS (Dept. of Navy Office Automation and
Communications) laboratory, and hence also of the Navy DIF project.  I
personally wrote the Navy's testbed set of DIF programs (for the Fortune
32:16 micro) and directed the efforts of the programming groups from
the original group of minicomputer and OA firms which developed DIF
software, now required for bidding many kinds of military contracts.  We
at IMS have also written several other DIF conversion routines for other
word-processing vendors.

     The DIF turned out to be a far more difficult kind of programming
task than envisioned;  DIF translation routines often end up translating
meaning and intent rather than simple structure, much as one would when
translating human languages one to another.  Especially, tabs, decimal
tabs, and indents are handled in radically different ways by varying
types of word processors.  Documents translated by routines which
regarded DIF (Navy DIF, not Visicorp DIF) or DCA/DISOSS either one as a
look-up table kind of thing would look mangled on the other side.  The
Navy DIF routine in SSI's little "Convert" routine, unfortunately,
amounts to such a look-up table kind of approach and has never been
through the Navy's validation process.  I.M.S. has a set of DIF
conversion routines for WordPerfect which actually DO work and which
sells for $100/copy.  This package is being used by Xerox and several
other organizations in bidding federal contracts.

     For a cheap, software oriented system for passing documents around,
the only two games in town are the Navy DIF and IBM's DCA/DISOSS
standard.  The two differ fundamentally in their approach.  The DIF
represents a workable solution hammered out in actual development
between consenting adults from several firms;  it resembles the file
structure of a very reasonable 1985 word processor, with functionality
chosen as a maximal common subset of the products of the Navy's major OA
vendors, and structure most easily "reachable" by translation programs
from the file structures of those vendors.  DCA represents another IBM
standard handed down to the masses from on high;  its functionality and
structure are essentially those of a 1965 typewriter.  In the DIF or any
1985 word processor, boldfacing the name "John" amounts to a code
meaning "boldface-on" followed by "John" and then a code for
"boldface-off".  In DCA, you see "John" followed by a code meaning
"back-space 4" and then "John" again, exactly what you would do on a
typewriter.  Needless to say, DCA translations don't work as well as DIF
translations.

     In the case of TROFF, however, neither DIF nor DCA would help very
much;  there are several features of TROFF which preclude writing
accurate DIF or (reasonably) accurate DCA conversions to it.  Most
notably, proportional spacing and thinking in fractions of an inch
rather than in columns are  natural enemies of any such conversion
process.  Here is what I would advise:  Troff was written for masochists
in the 1970's... get rid of it.  Xerox's latest version of their 8010
star, which they call the 6085, is the creature you want.  It can be
bought for around $6000, and has cheap laser printers available for it.
It comes with a very high-res screen (I believe 1024x1024), all kinds of
typesetting and graphics features which are WYSWYG, all kinds of fonts,
and DIF routines which work reasonably well in conjunction with the
(IMS) WordPerfect DIF routines, at least going from the PC TO the 6085.

     The idea is this: using WordPerfect on PCs in conjunction with one
or two 6085s via DIF in an office effectively magnifies the power of the
one or two 6085s tenfold by taking the input load off of them.  The 6085
can be used for adding finishing graphic or typesetting touches to
documents created on PCs, and then for printing them, so that a great
many professional looking documents could be produced in an office with,
say, 20 PCs, and two 6085s.

bb@wjh12.UUCP (brent byer) (12/26/85)

Christine King of Intermetrics writes:

> >We need a way to exchange WordPerfect files and nroff files.  Does
> >anybody know how to do this?
>
> >It sure would be nice to be able to take an nroff input file, mess with
> >it using WordPerfect and print the result on the laser printer.  And
> >then take a WordPerfect file, send it to the VAX and add a bunch more
> >text to it, then troff it to the laser printer.

In YAAA (yet another attempted advertisement),
Ted Holden (ted@imsvax) extolls:

>      I.M.S. (Integrated MicroComputer Systems) has the
> primary contract with DONOACS (Dept. of Navy Office Automation and
> Communications) laboratory, and hence also of the Navy DIF project.  I
> personally wrote the Navy's testbed set of DIF programs

>	blah blah blah ...

> I.M.S. has a set of DIF
> conversion routines for WordPerfect which sells for $100/copy.
>
>      In the case of TROFF, however, neither DIF nor DCA would help very
> much;  there are several features of TROFF which preclude writing
> accurate DIF or (reasonably) accurate DCA conversions to it.  Most
> notably, proportional spacing and thinking in fractions of an inch
> rather than in columns are  natural enemies of any such conversion
> process.  Here is what I would advise:  Troff was written
> in the 1970's... get rid of it.  Xerox's latest version of their 8010
> star, which they call the 6085, is the creature you want.

But, gee, Ms. King didn't post a request for a sales call, she was
seeking a solution to an articulately-stated problem.  She didn't
say she wanted to stop using her Unix machine NOR buy any new hardware.

AND, I am quite sure that she does NOT want to sacrifice such
desirable features as proportional printing, variable fonts/sizes, etc.
After all, that is why she wants to upload it for laser printing.

Ted, if your fantastic whizbang conversion program can only deal
with columnar material, I say `get rid of it.'  Or, at least,
stop trying to foist it off on those who KNOW that they want more.

Brent Byer

	Nephew >>	``Uncle Bill, that steamboat race was the biggest
		  gamble in the world.''

	W.C. Fields >>  ``That was nothing, son.  I remember when
		  Lady Godiva put everything she had on a horse.''