[net.micro.pc] Hiding Files?

aic@pucc-i (Craig Norborg aka Doc Pierce) (01/07/86)

    For security purposes at a place I work, we were wondering if it was
possible in ms-dos to make files so that people couldn't write onto them.
One possible way we thought of was just to make the files so they can't
see them by "hiding" them like some of the system files.  I know write
protecting a floppy is one way, but this doesn't help with a hard drive.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx in advance,
--
					Craig Norborg (aka Doc Pierce)
Uucp: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  }!pur-ee!pucc-i!aic

USnail: 910 N. 9th street
	Lafayette IN 47904

grayson@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/08/86)

One of the standard msdos file attributes is READ-ONLY.  There is
a public domain program called ALTER which can set it for you.

        uucp:   grayson@uiucuxc.UUCP
    old uucp:	{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!grayson
    internet:   grayson@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
       telex:	5101011969 UI TELCOM URUD --> Dan Grayson, Altgeld Hall.
     us mail:	Dan Grayson, Math Dept, Univ of Ill, Urbana 61801
       phone:	217-367-6384 home   217-333-6209 office

ward@chinet.UUCP (Ward Christensen) (01/08/86)

There are a couple of public domain utilities that will do what you want.
If you have access thru Compuserve, via a local users group, whatever,
you should be able to find them.  The two I have are ALTER, which only
does a single file, and CHMOD that can do several files at once.  I use
it like a security system - creating subdirectories with funny names, then
hiding them.  Actually, you can also "zap the bits" with a disk utility
such as Norton - I often do this (although I use Media Magician since Norton
didn't [initially] support my 15M hard disk).

"You know, the more you know, the more you realize you don't know" Bela Lubkin

brown@nicmad.UUCP (01/08/86)

In article <1236@pucc-i> aic@pucc-i.UUCP (Craig Norborg aka Doc Pierce) writes:

>    For security purposes at a place I work, we were wondering if it was
>possible in ms-dos to make files so that people couldn't write onto them.
>One possible way we thought of was just to make the files so they can't
>see them by "hiding" them like some of the system files.  I know write
>protecting a floppy is one way, but this doesn't help with a hard drive.
>Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

One way is to use the PC-DOS ATTRIB command, which allows you to change the
Read Only attribute.  You could also get Norton's Utilites, 3.0+, and use
the sector r/w capabilities and manual change the directory entry so that you
can hide and read protect the file.

A MS-DOS directory entry is like this:

	Bytes 0-7   Filename
	      8-10  Extension
	      11    File Attribute
		    01h read only
		    02h hidden file
		    04h system file
		    08h filename+ext = volume label (root directory only)
		    10h subdirectory name
		    20h archive bit

You add up the bits in byte 11 to get the combination you want.

Hope this helps.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) (01/10/86)

The number of replies seen here makes me wonder just how safe
this sort of thing is.  If you use these schemes, I hope you
know your user doesn't read.  R/O and SYS (hidden) files have
been around since the stone ages of CP/M - well, at least CP/M
2.2, as far as I know.
If you think this is a good way of hiding 'secret' files, I
wish you luck - AND DUMB USERS.
--
Robert Cohen
San Francisco, California