[net.micro.pc] PC/VI now available

pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) (01/10/86)

A version of vi is now available that runs under MS-DOS.  It's from
Custom Software Systems, P.O.Box 551 MO., Shrewsbury, MA  00545,
phone 617-842-1712 for $149.00.  It is designed to run on an IBM PC or
compatible.  It's about time!
--
Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
{allegra, ihnp4, topaz}!pyuxqq!pat

lyourk@ihlpm.UUCP (LORANY) (01/12/86)

> A version of vi is now available that runs under MS-DOS.  It's from

This should read: Vi is now available....

> Custom Software Systems, P.O.Box 551 MO., Shrewsbury, MA  00545,
> phone 617-842-1712 for $149.00.  It is designed to run on an IBM PC or
> compatible.  It's about time!
> --

If you get this you should also get a different ANSI.SYS device
driver.  I have purchased PC/VI and found it to be like an ADM 3a
at 9600 baud with the standard ANSI.SYS driver due to the lack of
delete or insert line.  I purchased the FCONSOLE.DEV driver that
Custom Software Systems recommended from Hersey Micro in MI and
re-did the termcap (added the delete/insert line capability) for
the 'ibmpc' entry.  The difference in speed is like night and
day.  I use PC/VI in conjunction with Turbo Lightning and it makes
a GREAT editing system.  PC/VI also works with a terminal off the
serial port at 9600 baud; just update the termcap lib for it.
PC/VI has all of the idiosyncrasies the UNIX version has so there
is nothing to get use to except fast response.  I imagine that
PC/VI would work even faster with an AT.  A final note, if you
don't have a hard disk it will slow down tremendously due to
temporary file allocation for 'undo' and the space for the
support files it requires.

Now if I could only get a COMPLETE version of memorandum macros,
'mm' for MS-DOS, I wouldn't want to get UNIX for my pc anymore!

Loran Yourk
AT&T Technologies
ihnp4!ihlpm!lyourk
W: 312-510-6885

Disclammier:  I have no connection with the companies mentioned
above except that I am an addicted user of their software
products and without them my PC/XT would be an expensive toy.

rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) (01/13/86)

Laran,
Could you give a little more info about the FCONSOLE.DEV driver
or other alternatives.  It would be most unpleasant to have a Vi
port to the PC only to find no insert/delete line functions.
Also, you mention termcap in your article.  I was not aware there
was a termcap package available under MS/DOS.  How much did the
extras required to get Vi functioning set you back?  Suppliers?

Thanks,
Robert Cohen
San Francisco, California
{ihnp4,dual,qantel}!ptsfa!rhc

--
Robert Cohen
San Francisco, California

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/14/86)

In article <1095@ptsfa.UUCP>, rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) writes:
> Laran,
> Could you give a little more info about the FCONSOLE.DEV driver
> or other alternatives.
    FCONSOLE.DEV is an alternative to the IBM ANSI.SYS driver, and
works pretty well.  It's generally available on many IBM PC BBSes.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

grandi@noao.UUCP (Steve Grandi) (01/14/86)

PC/VI works on any MS-DOS machine and comes complete with MS-DOS
termlib routines (although the documentation isn't ready yet...).

I use it on my Ampro Little Board/186 driving a VT100 and all I had to
do was copy my Unix termcap entry over and it works fine.  Since PC/VI
is a BIG program and uses temporary files, a hard disk would be nice;
but I have no real complaints with my floppy-based system.

Is PC/VI a straight port of Berkeley vi?  I don't see any UCB
copyright information, but it sure looks and feels like UCB vi!
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ, 602-325-9228
{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!grandi  noao!grandi@lbl-csam.ARPA