[net.micro.pc] NEC V20 -- seems to work

ray@othervax.UUCP (Raymond D. Dunn) (01/13/86)

In article <1133@cp1.UUCP> hart@cp1.UUCP (Rod Hart) writes:

>..[using NEC v30].. Norton's sysinfo
>my at&t 6300 jumped from a 1.9 to a 3.9 in-
>dex. Kind of hard to beleive, but it is TRUE!

Please note, and tell all your friends, that Norton's SI test results
show NO relationship to the actual overall machine performance.  The
SI command is a simple timing test loop which contains and is heavily
weighted by, a multiply instruction.  Thus the 'good' result with
the V20, and little effect on the result from memory wait states etc.

Lets try and kill this one stone dead before manufacturers start
designing their machines to produce 'better' SI results!

Norton where are you?  Can you do us all a service and publish a
realistic system performance test??

Ray Dunn.  ..philabs!micomvax!othervax!ray

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (01/15/86)

> In article <1133@cp1.UUCP> hart@cp1.UUCP (Rod Hart) writes:
>
> >..[using NEC v30].. Norton's sysinfo
> >my at&t 6300 jumped from a 1.9 to a 3.9 in-
> >dex. Kind of hard to beleive, but it is TRUE!
>
> Please note, and tell all your friends, that Norton's SI test results
> show NO relationship to the actual overall machine performance.  The
> SI command is a simple timing test loop which contains and is heavily
> weighted by, a multiply instruction.  Thus the 'good' result with
> the V20, and little effect on the result from memory wait states etc.
>
> Lets try and kill this one stone dead before manufacturers start
> designing their machines to produce 'better' SI results!
>
> Norton where are you?  Can you do us all a service and publish a
> realistic system performance test??
>
> Ray Dunn.  ..philabs!micomvax!othervax!ray

I agree SI is weighted, but what is a realistic system performance test?
One application may be spreadsheet recalculation which is numerics intensive.
Another may be a compile with multiple libraries which is disk intensive
(Or a compile with RAMDISK which is string-operation intensive).

Maybe the best test is to simply time your favorite application.

--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow