[net.micro.pc] PC/AT fast xtal warning

dyer@harvard.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (01/13/86)

I would like to point out a problem I discovered with using a faster
crystal in my PC/AT when I installed SCO XENIX V.  I had been running
quite successfully for months under DOS with an 18.4 mhz crystal, as
opposed to the standard IBM 12 mhz crystal.  During the XENIX installation
process, and occasionally and unpredictably while running XENIX subsequently,
processes would get SIGSEGV (seg violation or memory fault) sent to them.
There was no way to predict which processes would be affected or when.
Dropping back to 12 mhz stopped the problem.  I would like to solicit
opinions from knowledgable parties on the cause of this phenomenon and
its solution.  I suspect that the memory management hardware was stressed
lightly, if at all, under DOS, and the higher clock rate can produce
glitches in the 6 mhz 286's on-chip memory management hardware.  I am thinking
about installing a new 286 chip which is rated at 10 mhz (20 mhz xtal)
and trying the experiment again.  Any other suggestions?  Anyone else
see this problem?
--
/Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

abm@ptsfa.UUCP (Al Margolis) (01/15/86)

In article <604@harvard.UUCP>, dyer@harvard.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> ... a problem I discovered with using a faster crystal in my PC/AT
> ... I suspect that the memory management hardware was stressed
> lightly, if at all, under DOS, and the higher clock rate can produce
> glitches in the 6 mhz 286's on-chip memory management hardware.

I installed a speedup kit on my PC/XT which ran the system at 7.14Mhz,
and the system would not run POST diognostics without indicating
memory errors.  The solution (arrived at by guessing, not intelligence)
was replacing the AMD controler chip with an NEC part.  Since one of the
DMA channels is used for DRAM refresh, this fix seems reasonable and has
been working for several months.  I have heard opinions of both (1) the
AMD chips are a common source of trouble and (2) I was just lucky with
the individual replacementent chip since this is a marginal situation.

<< preaching >>
This is not directly applicable to the AT situation due to the different
chip sets, but I think that you can expect problems in several areas
when you push a PC to 50% or more above design speed.  On the other hand,
if you have the time & the nerve to put a soldering iron to your
$x000 machine, you can get a lot more out of it -- I'd never go back to
4.77Mhz.

<< question >>
In working through this and a few related problems, I picked up a lot of
folk lore concerning the relative quality of various chips (i.e. Intel
8237s are good, AMD's are bad; Fujitsu 41256-15s are better than OKIs; ...)
This folk lore did not discriminate between spec and pushed environments.
Are there real [significant] differences?  I am a bit surprised, especially
if true about licensed second source suppliers.  I would like to see

Please help be out of my ignorance.

Al Margolis
Pacific Bell   {ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!abm

These comments are only my own, and the machine in question is my
own PC.  I'm not affiliated with anyone who makes semiconductors.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/15/86)

I'm running SCO SYS V Xenix on a PC-AT with an 18.1 mHz rock with no
apparent problems.  I tried a 20 mHz rock which worked fine for DOS
but generated various problems for Xenix.  So the 20 mHz rock went
to the junk box until I come acorss a cheap 20 mHz 286.  I will also
be looking into rumors that the NEC V60/V70 blows away the 286.

--
   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
   Author of Professional-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/17/86)

> In working through this and a few related problems, I picked up a lot of
> folk lore concerning the relative quality of various chips (i.e. Intel
> 8237s are good, AMD's are bad; Fujitsu 41256-15s are better than OKIs; ...)
> This folk lore did not discriminate between spec and pushed environments.
> Are there real [significant] differences?  I am a bit surprised, especially
> if true about licensed second source suppliers.

Yes indeed.  Sometimes the differences are "documented" in the spec
sheets.  I've encountered this with PALs (tm) -- one manufacturer specs
theirs as somewhat slower than MMI's "standard".  I've seen it with one
manufacturer's FAST (tm) logic: one part had much lower input loading
than Fairchild's "standard" part, making the input lines susceptible to
noise on a board where Fairchild's part worked fine.

Sometimes there are undocumented differences.  I've seen a problem with
a 10K ECL part obtained from a second source which didn't occur with the
Motorola MECL part.  The second sourced part had problems during initial
power-up, and wasn't reliable until each input changed state once.

Sometimes it's simply an ability to produce a faster part; AMD is a
second-source for the iAPX86 CPU's, but they seem to produce a given
speed part a few months before Intel does.

And DRAMs!  I'm beginning to think that no two DRAM chips are inter-
changeable, even from the same manufacturer   1/2 :-)    Aw, the spec
sheets are nearly identical, but their behavior is something else.

[Vision of Wendy's TV ad:  "What *kind* of parts?"  "Parts is parts."]
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (01/17/86)

> I'm running SCO SYS V Xenix on a PC-AT with an 18.1 mHz rock with no
> apparent problems.  I tried a 20 mHz rock which worked fine for DOS
> but generated various problems for Xenix.  So the 20 mHz rock went
> to the junk box until I come acorss a cheap 20 mHz 286.  I will also
> be looking into rumors that the NEC V60/V70 blows away the 286.

Just a clarification:
 The 286 clock rate is half the crystal, so a 20MHz crystal uses a 10MHz 286.
 286's are rated at 6, 8, 10, 12.5 MHz.

--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (01/21/86)

In article <604@harvard.UUCP> dyer@harvard.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I would like to point out a problem I discovered with using a faster
>crystal in my PC/AT when I installed SCO XENIX V.
>Dropping back to 12 mhz stopped the problem.

Does this mean a computer clocked faster than it was designed for
won't always work as designed? It must be an IBM conspiracy intended
to force people to buy faster and more expensive computers.

>glitches in the 6 mhz 286's on-chip memory management hardware.  I am thinking
>about installing a new 286 chip which is rated at 10 mhz (20 mhz xtal)
>and trying the experiment again.

There are other components in the PC/AT besides the crystal which
hobbyists seem to like to change so much and the 286. For example,
there's the RAM, the EPROM, the DMA controllers, the time of day
clock, and so on, all of whose timing was presumably carefully thought
out by the engineer to work even in worst case conditions. Now you
turn the clock up.

I wonder if I took my favorite program and removed some lines of code from
it, would it run faster? It should, it has less to do.

excuse the heavy sarcasm, I had to finally let it out...
--
 (C) 1986 Joe Random is not a valid copyright.
 Copyright 1986 Joe Random is.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

In article <187@intelca.UUCP> glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) writes:
> The 286 clock rate is half the crystal, so a 20MHz crystal uses a 10MHz 286.
> 286's are rated at 6, 8, 10, 12.5 MHz.

There's also a chip in the 286 family called the 82284 which is the
actual oscillator device. It too comes in speeds and is therefore
another possible reason why a 20 MHz crystal doesn't work in a PC/AT.

Note: I don't even know if a PC/AT uses the 82284, although I would be
surprised if it didn't, and I don't recommend changing the hardware
around if you want it to keep working.
--

In article <996@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>manufacturer's FAST (tm) logic: one part had much lower input loading
>than Fairchild's "standard" part, making the input lines susceptible to
>noise on a board where Fairchild's part worked fine.

Lower input loading sounds like an advantage to me. If it causes
problems, is it possible the device was not used correctly? Remember
most input loadings are specified as maximums and even the original
manufacturer may improve the part and reduce the loading.

>Sometimes there are undocumented differences.  I've seen a problem with
>a 10K ECL part obtained from a second source which didn't occur with the
>Motorola MECL part.  The second sourced part had problems during initial
>power-up, and wasn't reliable until each input changed state once.

Yes, parts are not parts. Some second sources are complete or partial
redesigns. Differences in behavior, especially in unspecified modes of
operation are not uncommon. Some second sources are true second
sources where masks are exchanged. There is much less room for
differences in the latter case, probably no more chance than there is
for a difference between lots from the same manufacturer.

>Sometimes it's simply an ability to produce a faster part; AMD is a
>second-source for the iAPX86 CPU's, but they seem to produce a given
>speed part a few months before Intel does.

Actually, we tend to be VERY conservative in our testing. But we have
some very hot processes too.

>And DRAMs!  I'm beginning to think that no two DRAM chips are inter-
>changeable, even from the same manufacturer   1/2 :-)    Aw, the spec
>sheets are nearly identical, but their behavior is something else.

I can't say I've had much trouble. What exactly are you referring to?
There are some things you have to get right, and a lot of parameters
you have to satisfy, but once you've done so DRAMs seem to work quite
reliably for me.

DRAMs are getting horribly complicated these days. Page mode, nibble
mode, static column addressing, read-modify-write cycles,
self-refreshing, and hardly anyone implements the same set of features
or in the same way. What a mess. But I have personally used DRAMs in a
half a dozen circuits with no trouble. In production, too.  All boards
were tested over extreme temperature ranges with varying manufacturers.

--
 (C) 1986 Joe Random is not a valid copyright.
 Copyright 1986 Joe Random is.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (01/22/86)

<<<<
< Does this mean a computer clocked faster than it was designed for
< won't always work as designed? It must be an IBM conspiracy intended
< to force people to buy faster and more expensive computers.
<
But what frequency was it designed for? The tech ref shows a 12 Mhz crystal
but some of the test points are marked -16Mhz. Its like the design was for a
faster part but was slowed down later for some unknown reason.

The "Speed up your AT" movement reminds me of all those backyard mechanics
that have been squeezing more performance out the family auto than Detroit
ever thought they were putting in.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

doug@terak.UUCP (01/22/86)

>> manufacturer's FAST (tm) logic: one part had much lower input loading
>> than Fairchild's "standard" part, making the input lines susceptible to
>> noise on a board where Fairchild's part worked fine.
>
> Lower input loading sounds like an advantage to me. If it causes
> problems, is it possible the device was not used correctly? Remember
> most input loadings are specified as maximums and even the original
> manufacturer may improve the part and reduce the loading.

True, the specs don't give a minimum loading figure, but I don't know
anybody who terminates every etch on a board in a low impedance just in
case some chip manufacturer should decide to reduce the input loading to
a few microamps.

FAST family parts are, well, fast.  They tend to be used in applications
with very high frequency signals.  FAST also generates some pretty sharp
edges.  It's nearly impossible to keep signals from cross-coupling on
the board; you have to rely on the low impedances to swamp them out.

> >And DRAMs!  I'm beginning to think that no two DRAM chips are inter-
> >changeable, even from the same manufacturer   1/2 :-)    Aw, the spec
> >sheets are nearly identical, but their behavior is something else.
>
> I can't say I've had much trouble. What exactly are you referring to?

I should've been more explicit.  Make that 256K DRAMs.  In simple
applications with short traces, few chips and non-critical timing,
they probably aren't a problem.  But when you try to put a few hundred
together to make a large memory subsystem (this necessarily results
in lengthy traces) and then try to run them close to rated speed, good
luck.  Some chips work, others don't.  Even though the specs are met,
some just seem more sensitive to things like noise and edge rates.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) (01/27/86)

Subject: Re: Fast AT xtals?  How about fast XT xtals?

Look at your video board. What speed does it expect! Most boards
clock off the mother board clock, soooo maybe adding a clock to
the video board (color only I think) will help.

--

George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
312-979-6593 work