[net.micro.pc] uuencode

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (02/01/86)

When posting items in binary (converted to ascii) it would be useful to have
them in a widely available format. uuencode *seems to be* a part of 4.2BSD,
and not available to the SysIII/SysV/otherOS users. I looked in SysIII, SCO
Xenix (SysV) and on the ATT7300 and VAX SysV, so I'm sure it's not widely
available if at all. I would like to suggest the use of the atob and btoa
routines posted to net.sources with compress4.0 as an alternative, since they
are available to anyone without license (and make smaller ASCII files). I have
access to a BSD machine, but it's not where I do most of my work, and I'm sure
that others have the same problem.

If there is a PD source, please indicate where it lives. I've looked in the
back net.sources as far as I can find on several machines...
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

rb@ccivax.UUCP (02/05/86)

In article <644@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:

>When posting items in binary (converted to ascii) it would be useful to have
>them in a widely available format. uuencode *seems to be* a part of 4.2BSD,
>and not available to the SysIII/SysV/otherOS users.
>
>If there is a PD source, please indicate where it lives. I've looked in the
>back net.sources as far as I can find on several machines...

There was a PD version posted on net.micro.atari a few weeks ago.
Both uuencode and uudecode were posted in the same posting.  They compile
ok on practically anything (code is pretty much vanilla C), with a few minor
modifications for OS file I/O.

I don't know whether the original poster also sent it to net.sources or not.
I believe he was unable to access net.sources.  I have a copy, but cannot
access net.sources either.  If it has expired, and there is enough demand,
I could post it to net.micro.

..!ccivax!ccitv2!rb