[net.micro.pc] Colour Graphics Adapter: how do you get 2 more palettes in medium res?

jan@looking.UUCP (Jan Gray) (02/06/86)

From the documentation I've seen, there are only two medium res colour palettes,
one with black, red, green, yellow, and the other black, magenta, cyan, white.

However, Turbo Pascal can set another two palettes with "high intensity"
colours.  How is this done?  The BIOS Video Set Palette call doesn't
seem to be able to set palette 2 or 3.  Is there a BIOS call to do this?
Is there a (much less portable) IO address to poke?

Thank you very much,
Jan Gray	Looking Glass Software, Waterloo Ont.	(519) 884-7473

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (02/09/86)

In article <494@looking.UUCP>, jan@looking.UUCP (Jan Gray) writes:
> From the documentation I've seen, there are only two medium res colour palettes,
> one with black, red, green, yellow, and the other black, magenta, cyan, white.
>
> However, Turbo Pascal can set another two palettes with "high intensity"
> colours.  How is this done?  The BIOS Video Set Palette call doesn't
> seem to be able to set palette 2 or 3.  Is there a BIOS call to do this?
> Is there a (much less portable) IO address to poke?

   You can get the high-intensity palette by setting the background color
to a high-intensity color (Probably black, that's usually the most common
choice).  To do this, you use the normal BIOS call, INT 10H, with AH set to
0BH, BH set to zero, and BL set to 8 (high intensity black).  Likewise, if
BL is set to zero, you will get the low-intensity pallette.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren