[net.micro.pc] qmodem info

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (02/16/86)

I have a shareware communication program by the Forbin Project and
John Friel III called QMODEM, version 1.11, that runs on an IBM PC.
I'm using it to connect to a Unix system at 9600 baud.  The problem
is that it's supposed to support an ANSI mode, but it completely ignores
escape sequences on input as if the mode wasn't on.  I'd  really like
to be able to use vi with this thing.  Does anyone with any experience
with the program have any ideas?  I know that ALT-G toggles ANSI mode.

Sean

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (02/18/86)

In article <2706@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>I have a shareware communication program by the Forbin Project and
>John Friel III called QMODEM, version 1.11, that runs on an IBM PC.
>I'm using it to connect to a Unix system at 9600 baud.  The problem
>is that it's supposed to support an ANSI mode, but it completely ignores
				     ^^^^
>escape sequences on input as if the mode wasn't on.  I'd  really like
>to be able to use vi with this thing.  Does anyone with any experience
		   ^^
>with the program have any ideas?  I know that ALT-G toggles ANSI mode.
>
>Sean

The ANSI mode used in all versions of QMODEM is that of the
*IBM*. If you look in your DOS manual under ANSI.SYS, you
should (I hope :-) ) find a listing of all the ANSI codes (for
the PC). Many BBSs use these to create graphics and music.

If you want to use vi, try a vt100 emulator like Kermit or Procomm.
--
Erik Bailey

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.
ejb@think.com.arpa    (617) 643-0732              Cambridge, MA)

"I once met a subliminal advertising man, just for a second." --S. Wright