[net.micro.pc] Additional Hard Disks for Unix PC 7300

glennw@aluxz.UUCP (wesley) (02/16/86)

What I am looking for is information on adding an ADDITIONAL disk
to the 7300.  There are plenty of inexpensive disks out there that
would be convienent to add to my system, if only I knew how.

A while ago I posted a less specific request for information and
got a few responses from people who exchanged to a larger disk.

I am really hurting for disk space so any hints, clues or outright
advise would we gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

        #############
    #++++++#############
  #++++++++++#############                 Glenn Wesley
 #++++++++++++#############                AT&T Bell Laboratories
 #++++++++++++#############                555 Union Blvd.
  ##++++++++##############                 Allentown, Pennsylvania
   ######################                  aluxz!pissa!glenn
     ##################			   or aluxz!glennw
        ############

jhc@mtung.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) (02/18/86)

Sorry, everybody, but there is no way to add multiple hard disks to a
UNIX PC. The hard disk controller is only smart enough to handle one,
and the extra control lines do not exist. If someone were to call
this a bug I would agree with them.

You *can* add a bigger drive, and this can be a full height if you
are willing to extend the power and data cables out the back. I'm
currently using a 40MB Maxtor drive this way myself. Any reports from
people using 80MB drives - either full or half height?

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC]!mtung!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (02/19/86)

In article <673@mtung.UUCP> jhc@mtung.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>Sorry, everybody, but there is no way to add multiple hard disks to a
>UNIX PC.
>You *can* add a bigger drive, and this can be a full height if you
>are willing to extend the power and data cables out the back. I'm
>currently using a 40MB Maxtor drive this way myself. Any reports from
>people using 80MB drives - either full or half height?

	Yep, I am using a Micropolis 80 meg drive (1024 cylinders, 8 heads)
full height.  I waffle between running it external in a cabinet to
internal with the top cover resting on it.  It is a FAST drive (~35 ms)
and can run notesfiles, and a full news feed on it with enough space
left over to get lost.  Too bad it is really only a single user
machine.  Also, with the 3.0 upgrade to UNIX, the windows and
other stuff are FAST!

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) (02/19/86)

To further the discussion:

What about using SCSI to drive hard disks?

For exmaple:

a 68K based SCSI controller - I/O board using NCR's controller chips?

A good opening for a third party vendor!!!!

Exsiting VARS for AT&T take note!
gpw

--

George Wilkin                                  AT&T Network Systems
work 312-979-6593 ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw              Naperville-Wheaton Road

simon@simon_pc.UUCP (Simon Shapiro) (02/22/86)

In article <332@ihlpf.UUCP>, gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) writes:
> To further the discussion:
>
> What about using SCSI to drive hard disks?

I am serious.  I will buy four of them tomorrow!