[net.micro.pc] Wordperfect vs. Word vs. Wordstar & mice

stever@tektronix.UUCP (02/22/86)

It has been stated recently that Wordperfect does not support
a mouse.  I am not sure what this means.

I do know that one can use the Mouse Systems mouse with almost
any package that supports use of cursor keys (with BASIC
programs requiring some special treatment).  Mouse Systems
also provides a driver to emulate the Microsoft mouse.

Microsoft does not support the Mouse Systems mouse for
Word (as far as I know), but I could use my Mouse Systems
mouse with Word if I so desired.

Micropro does not support a mouse for Wordstar, but I can and
do use one.  Albeit with slow horizontal cursor movement and
a very fustrating lack of diagonal movement (Micropro, if you
are listening, PLEASE FIX THESE TWO ITEMS in Wordstar 3.5 or
whatever you are going to number it!).

I would expect Wordperfect to actually work better with the Mouse
Systems mouse than with Wordstar.  I am planning to check this out
in the very near future.  Wordperfect has attracted my interest
with its column editing capabilities.  However, I dislike
Wordperfect's use of the 40 function key combinations.  The
organization and presentation of these function keys are
confusing and hard to remember.  A friend of mine has used
Word, Wordperfect and Wordstar extensively and is about ready
to go out and buy a copy of Wordstar Professional.  We both
find the semi-mnemonic nature of the control key commands to
be more straightforward.  And the reference card is well organized.

The designer pop-up menu software provided with the Mouse Systems mouse
would let me use Wordperfect without having to remember all those function
keys.  In fact, the pop-menus allow me to use several word processors
for what they are good at without ever having to learn a whole new
set of commands.  I have given up ever finding one that
does everything just the way I want and need!

steve rogers
tektronix!stever

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (02/23/86)

In article <6646@tektronix.UUCP>, stever@tektronix.UUCP writes:

> It has been stated recently that Wordperfect does not support
> a mouse.  I am not sure what this means.
>
> The designer pop-up menu software provided with the Mouse Systems mouse
> would let me use Wordperfect without having to remember all those function
> keys.

WordPerfect has a real problem with mice because of its model of cursor
movement on the screen.  A down arrow, for example, will take you to the
column directly under the cursor or to the end of the line, WHICHEVER
IS CLOSEST TO THE LEFT MARGIN.  Down arrow to a blank line leaves the
cursor at the left margin.  Now most mice programs (including designer
menus) work by simulating cursor keys, so if you move the mouse straight
down the screen in WordPerfect, you are more likely than not to have the
curso wind up on the left margin, no matter where you started.

Designer menus should work ok with Word Perfect if you are careful about
keeping track of the stack in nested menus.  Since your menu program
will have to simulate WordPerfect's nesting structure, you'll probably
find yourself looking at the wrong menu quite often.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

gst@talcott.UUCP (02/25/86)

This may be slightly off-topic, but I thought readers of this discussion
might be interested in taking a look at an article in the February 24th
issue of "Infoworld" (p. 67), entitled "Two Mice Nibbling at Microsoft's
Lead."  This article reviews the PC Mouse by Mouse Systems Corp., and the
Logimouse C7 by Logitech.  The author is especially concerned with the
performance of each of these mice with a variety of programs, some of which
are designed to be used with mice, some of which are not (the Logimouse
comes with software which enables it to be used with keyboard-based programs
that use the Microsoft Mouse standard).

I suggest reading the article if you're into mice.  However, my quick summary
of the article is that the author seems somewhat more impressed with the
PC mouse, even though it requires its own power supply, can connect only to
a serial port (as does the Logimouse), and requires a special mouse pad with
a lined mirrored surface.  He also gives it high marks for its ability to
move the cursor smoothly.  The Logimouse, which (at $99) costs just over half
as much as the PC mouse, he gives a "poor" rating for documentation, and finds
it to share the weakness of the Microsoft Mouse of jerky cursor movement
(though he likes the feel of the mouse itself, the way it rolls, and finds
it generally well-built).

I hope this information contributes to the discussion.
--
	Gary Trujillo
	(harvard!talcott!gst)