[net.micro.pc] 9 pin serial port on PC AT

kevin@harvard.UUCP (Kevin Crowston) (02/25/86)

Does anyone know if the 9 pin serial connector on a PC-AT
(specifically, the port on an AST Advantage! card) is RS-422
or more particularly, the same layout as on a Macintosh?

Can anyone post or repost a mapping from the AT's 9 pins
to (say) the 25 pins of an RS-232 DTE connector?

Kevin Crowston
MIT Sloan School of Management

kevin@xv.mit.edu
kevin@harvard.harvard.edu
--

Kevin Crowston				UUCP: {seismo,ut-sally}!harvard!kevin
MIT Sloan School of Management		ARPA: kevin@xv.mit.edu or

mason@noscvax.UUCP (Nicholas B. Mason) (02/25/86)

In article <734@harvard.UUCP> kevin@harvard.UUCP (Kevin Crowston) writes:
>Can anyone post or repost a mapping from the AT's 9 pins
>to (say) the 25 pins of an RS-232 DTE connector?

PC 9 pin to 25 pin connection

    1 ---- 8
    2 ---- 3
    3 ---- 2
    4 ---- 20
    5 ---- 7
    6 ---- 6
    7 ---- 4
    8 ---- 5
    9 ---- 22

    Also, if you want to connect the second serial port on the
    Advantage card but did'nt buy the AST cable. Connector J3
    on the Advantage card is the output for the second serial
    port. It has two rows of 5 pins.  Assuming the pins are
    numbered as:

	      6 7 8 9 10 <---J3 on AST
	      1 2 3 4 5       Advantage card

	then pin
	1 is DCD
	2    RxD
	3    TxD
	4    DTR
	5    signal gnd
	6    DSR
	7    RTS
	8    CTS
	9    RI
	10   ???

	Hope this helps...

	  Nick Mason
	  NOSC    San Diego , CA
          mason@nosc  or
	ihnp4  \
        akgua   \
        decvax   ------------------!sdcsvax!noscvax!mason
        dcdwest /
        ucbvax /

sum@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/26/86)

/* Written  4:36 pm  May 14, 1985 by kevinp@mmintl.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.micro */
Serial/Parallel Adapter I have posted the following:

The IBM PC AT Serial/Parallel Adapter has a 9-pin D shell type
connector which is configured as follows:

       Pin	Signal Name (DCE)     RS-232C Pin (DCE)
      -----    --------------------  -------------------
	1	Carrier Detect		 8 (CD)
	2	Received Data		 3 (RD)
	3	Transmitted Date	 2 (TD)
	4	Data Terminal Ready	20 (DTR)
	5	Signal Ground		 7 (SG)
	6	Data Set Ready		 6 (DSR)
	7	Request To Send		 4 (RTS)
	8	Clear To Send		 5 (CTS)
	9	Ring Indicate		22 (RI)

The above is for attachment to Data Communications Equipment such as a
modem.  To attach to another terminal (DTE) device the following signal
lines must be changed:

       Pin	Signal Name (DCE)     RS-232C Pin (DTE)
      -----    --------------------  -------------------
	2	Recieved Data		 2 (TD)    (RD & TD Swapped)
	3	Transmitted Data	 3 (RD)
	4	Data Terminal Ready	 6 (DSR)   (DTR & DSR Swapped)
	6	Data Set Ready		20 (DTR)
      / 7	Request To Send		 4 (CTS) \ (Pins jumpered together at
      \ 8	Clear To Send		 5 (RTS) / each end only in pairs. Pin
						   7 to 8, 4 to 5. Not needed
						   for Full-Duplex operation.)

This information may be obtained from the IBM Technical Reference,
Options and Adapters Mannual, Volume 2 after installing update pages
which are actually provided in the Technical Reference, Personal
Computer AT Mannual.  This means you need the AT tech ref to get the
specification if you haven't already obtained one.

Note:   I agree that IBM makes it difficult to obtain technical info.
	I would explain, but this is the wrong place for that flame.

--
Kevin Piette					Phone: (203) 522-2116
Multimate International Corporation, Research & Development

I am not expert but this has been helpful.

-- Bob

USENET: {convex,ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!sum
CSNET:  sum@uiuc.csnet
ARPA:   sum@b.cs.uiuc.edu

jrv@siemens.UUCP (02/27/86)

>/* Written  2:22 pm  Feb 25, 1986 by mason@noscvax in siemens:net.micro.pc */
>In article <734@harvard.UUCP> kevin@harvard.UUCP (Kevin Crowston) writes:
>>Can anyone post or repost a mapping from the AT's 9 pins
>>to (say) the 25 pins of an RS-232 DTE connector?
>
>PC 9 pin to 25 pin connection
>
>    1 ---- 8
>    2 ---- 3
>    3 ---- 2
>    4 ---- 20
>    5 ---- 7
>    6 ---- 6
>    7 ---- 4
>    8 ---- 5
>    9 ---- 22

I do not agree with this mapping. It looks like a mapping to a DCE 25 pin
connection and not DTE as was requested.

PC 9 pin			25 pin DTE connection

1 (Carrier Detect) <------------ no connection
2 (Data Input) <---------------- 2 - TxD (Transmit data)
3 (Data Output) ---------------> 3 - RxD (Received data)
4 (DTR) ------------------+----> 6 - DSR
                          +----> 8 - CD (carrier detect)
5 (Signal Ground) -------------- 7 - SGND (Signal Ground)
6 (DSR) <----------------------- 20 - DTR
7 (RTS) ----->+-loop  loop-+<--- 4 - RTS
8 (CTS) <-----+            +---> 5 - CTS
9 (Ring indicator) <------------ no connection

If you are going to be running interrupts on the serial port then you
might want to tie pins 1 and 9 to pin 4 to prevent any spurious
interrupts from ocurring. This is the connection I used recently
to connect a VT220 to the AT serial port. (Actually, I tied pins
1, 6, 9 to pin 4 and made DTR active. On the 25 pin DTE side I connected
pin 6(DSR) and 8(CD) to pin 20(DTR) to get things going.)

If you have any problems get in touch with e-mail.

Jim Vallino
{allegra,ihnp4}!princeton!siemens!jrv