[net.micro.pc] Color Monitor Recommendations Sought

hartsoug@oberon.UUCP (Mike Hartsough) (02/12/86)

I write computer programs, and my wife works on video productions.

At the moment our PC has a bottom-of-the-line Zenith monochrome monitor.

We want to get a color monitor which I can use on my computer, and, with
the simple flip of a switch, my wife can use to review her video tapes.
Something in the 11 - 13" size range is preferred. Oh yes, let's try to
keep the prices well under $1000.00

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

--
	Michael J. Hartsough
	hartsoug@oberon.UUCP

It is to the interest of the commonwealth of mankind that there should
be someone who is unconquered, someone against whom fortune has no power.
			---- Seneca
That's why I'm here.

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (02/22/86)

> We want to get a color monitor which I can use on my computer, and, with
> the simple flip of a switch, my wife can use to review her video tapes.
> Something in the 11 - 13" size range is preferred. Oh yes, let's try to
> keep the prices well under $1000.00
>
> 	Michael J. Hartsough
> 	hartsoug@oberon.UUCP

I am a few weeks behind on this newsgroup, so forgive me if your
question has been answered to your satisfaction:

If you are will to spring about $500, you can purchase the new
Sony Trinitron monitor. It's a VERY impressive piece of equipment...
it will allow for high resolution graphics driven by any micro, or
will allow you to use it as a video tape monitor. The person
I was talking to at their demo claims that it is capable of buffering
graphics characters so that you can use the monitor as a videotext
system.

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

     "...I suppose you find the concept of a
         robot with an artificial leg amusing?"

                    -- Marvin, the Paranoid Android

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (02/24/86)

In <1987@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP writes:

>> We want to get a color monitor which I can use on my computer, and, with
>> the simple flip of a switch, my wife can use to review her video tapes.
>> Something in the 11 - 13" size range is preferred. Oh yes, let's try to
>> keep the prices well under $1000.00

>If you are will to spring about $500, you can purchase the new
>Sony Trinitron monitor. It's a VERY impressive piece of equipment...
>it will allow for high resolution graphics driven by any micro, or
>will allow you to use it as a video tape monitor. The person
>I was talking to at their demo claims that it is capable of buffering
>graphics characters so that you can use the monitor as a videotext
>system.

Reprinted without permission from PC Magazine, March 25, 1986, page 141:

SONY TRINITRON COLOR TV KV-1131CR

"If this Sony monitor reminds you of a TV, that's because it is a TV.  The
flip of a switch toggles you into digital mode, in which the KV-1131CR is only
a fair color display.  Because of poor contrast, its colors are washed out, a
problem that adversely affects text legibility.  A more serious problem is the
Sony's poor resolution.  The central pixels are elongated rather than circular,
and lines converge more in the corners than they should."

"It is impossible to get a jet-black background."

The review being quoted was a one pager in a group of 13 color monitors
designed to work with the Color Graphics Adapter.  It was the only TV/RGB type
tested.
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

I speak, therefore I disclaim everything I say.
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

don@pecnos.UUCP (Don Hopkins) (02/25/86)

> In <1987@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP writes:
> >>
> >> We want to get a color monitor which I can use on my computer, and, with
> >> the simple flip of a switch, my wife can use to review her video tapes.
> >> Something in the 11 - 13" size range is preferred. Oh yes, let's try to
> >> keep the prices well under $1000.00
>
> Reprinted without permission from PC Magazine, March 25, 1986, page 141:
>
> SONY TRINITRON COLOR TV KV-1131CR
>
> "If this Sony monitor reminds you of a TV, that's because it is a TV.  The
> flip of a switch toggles you into digital mode, in which the KV-1131CR is only
> a fair color display.  Because of poor contrast, its colors are washed out, a
> problem that adversely affects text legibility.  A more serious problem is the
> Sony's poor resolution.  The central pixels are elongated rather than circular,
> and lines converge more in the corners than they should."
>
> "It is impossible to get a jet-black background."
>
> The review being quoted was a one pager in a group of 13 color monitors
> designed to work with the Color Graphics Adapter.  It was the only TV/RGB type
> tested.
> --
Zenith Data Systems makes a 13" monitor that has composite video
and RGB direct drive inputs. The model number is ZVM-135. List price
is $599 but I have seen it in the $450 dollar range. Features include:
25 line by 80 column display (640x200 pixels); 20 megahertz bandwidth;
composite video loop-thru; front access controls; green screen only switch
for easier text viewing. it is available at local Heathkit stores.

We have found it to be quite good for both computer and VCR viewing.

Name........:  Donald F. Hopkins
Company.....:  CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
US Mail.....:  106 Apple St., Tinton Falls, N.J. 07724
Phone.......:  201-758-7268
UUCP..(work):  ...!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!pecnos!don
      (home):  ...!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!pecnos!buslog!don

Disclaimer: The above opinions are only mine and not that of my employer.

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Norman Pritchett) (02/28/86)

In article <153@pecnos.UUCP> don@pecnos.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>Zenith Data Systems makes a 13" monitor that has composite video
>and RGB direct drive inputs. The model number is ZVM-135. List price
>is $599 but I have seen it in the $450 dollar range. Features include:
>25 line by 80 column display (640x200 pixels); 20 megahertz bandwidth;
>composite video loop-thru; front access controls; green screen only switch
>for easier text viewing. it is available at local Heathkit stores.
>
>We have found it to be quite good for both computer and VCR viewing.
>
>Name........:  Donald F. Hopkins

I may be mistaken, but doesn't Sears market this?
--
Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University
BITNET: TS1703 at OHSTVMA	Bellnet: (614) 422-0885