[net.micro.pc] Background ??

dowdy@cepu.UUCP (Dowdy Jackson) (02/25/86)

     I have been reading several articles that have talked about running
things in the background. I am curious about this . First, I would like to
know how one goes about running something in the background on a machine
that has only one CPU ?? Secondly, is it really running in the background,
(ie UNIX) or does the process stop until it is accessed ??
     If there is anyone out there who can answer this PLEASE send me E-mail
and if anyone else is interested I will gladly send you the responses I
receive.....
      Thanks in advance....

Dowdy Jackson
UCLA Department of Neurology
UCLA School of Medicine

                " Free up the land !! "

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (03/04/86)

In article <518@cepu.UUCP> dowdy@cepu.UUCP (Dowdy Jackson) writes:

>     I have been reading several articles that have talked about running
>things in the background. I am curious about this . First, I would like to
>know how one goes about running something in the background on a machine
>that has only one CPU ?? Secondly, is it really running in the background,
>(ie UNIX) or does the process stop until it is accessed ??

Simple.  One simply uses dynamic address relocation, a fast timesharing
interrupt, and a context switching kernel.

Sean Casey                UUCP:  sean@ukma.uucp          CSNET:  sean@uky.csnet
University of Kentucky    ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa
Lexington, Kentucky     BITNET:  sean@ukma.bitnet

     "Who's `we', sucker?"