[net.micro.pc] Unusual Request re. PC Recreational Software

jackson@ttidcb.UUCP (Dick Jackson) (03/15/86)

*
*
*
I know a woman with a lively mind who works as a telephone receptionist
just to make enough money to pursue her real life as a poet. She has
discovered a Compaq which has been delivered and not used, and made it
her own. She knows NOTHING about computers but is totally fascinated
with getting the Compaq up and doing something - reading the DOS manual,
etc and going through the setup step by step.

I would like to obtain for her some software which would reinforce her
interest. Not a word processor and not an acarde or typical adventure
game. I am not a PC type person and have no idea what might be available,
I was thinking along the lines of one of those "conversational" programs
like Eliza or the psychiatrist, but suspect that there must be some
really imaginative recreational software out there. Please mail me your
suggestions as I do not read this group.

Her Compaq apparently has a monochrome monitor, I don't know if it
supports graphics, maybe youse guys do?

Thanks in advance,           Dick Jackson

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (03/16/86)

In article <717@ttidcb.UUCP>, jackson@ttidcb.UUCP (Dick Jackson) writes:
> I know a woman with a lively mind who works as a telephone receptionist
> just to make enough money to pursue her real life as a poet. She has
> discovered a Compaq which has been delivered and not used, and made it
> her own. She knows NOTHING about computers but is totally fascinated
> with getting the Compaq up and doing something - reading the DOS manual,
> etc and going through the setup step by step.
>
> I would like to obtain for her some software which would reinforce her
> interest. Not a word processor and not an acarde or typical adventure
> game. I am not a PC type person and have no idea what might be available,
> I was thinking along the lines of one of those "conversational" programs
> like Eliza or the psychiatrist, but suspect that there must be some
> really imaginative recreational software out there. Please mail me your
> suggestions as I do not read this group.
>
> Her Compaq apparently has a monochrome monitor, I don't know if it
> supports graphics, maybe youse guys do?

If her machine does support graphics, you might want to get her a version
of the programming language Logo.  There are three versions for the PC: Logo
(from IBM), PC-Logo (from some outfit I can't recall), and Dr. Logo from
Digital Research.  I think IBM's is the best of the three.  If you go this
route, she'll also need books written for adults.  I know David Thornburg
has written a couple of books for Apple Logo that could be used with
no problem in conjunction with IBM's version.  One is called Discovering
Apple Logo, and I thing that the other is called Beyond Apple Logo.

In connection with conversation games, there is an entertaining little
product called Racter, published by Mindscape, that might keep her
entertained for a few hours and is fun to trot out at parties.

If she has a modem, she might be interested in trying out local or national
bulletin boards (but the latter cost money).  A list of IBM bulletin boards
was posted here some time ago, and I may have a copy kicking around someplace
if you need it.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207