[net.micro.pc] Leading Edge PC's Revisited

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (03/18/86)

In article <172@bucsb.UUCP> berlin@bucsb.UUCP (David K. Fickes) writes:
>I haven't heard any comments on the Leading Edge Model D or
>the NCR PC family... I am interested in any comments/horror
>stories that person's might have.

    The Leading Edge Model D has gotten good reviews from a number of
publications, including:  PC Magazine, PC Week, Wall Street Journal, and
Consumer Reports (rated "A Best Buy").  It's an excellent value alterna-
tive to the IBM PC.  It is very compatible.  It's pricing makes it an
excellent choice for home use.  For the same reasons, it's a good choice
for the office.

    I offer the preceeding on the basis of experience with the machine in
both environments.  Our office has bought six Model D's, including two
with 20MB hard disk drives.  The others are dual floppy models.  All have
B&W monitors and 640KB internal memory.  Additionally, two people in the
group have bought Model D's for home use and others are planning to do so.
In all cases we have found the machines to be highly compatible and of ex-
cellent value.

    The only complaint I've heard is from Consumer Reports (March 1986
issue) about Leading Edge quoting favorable rating info in its advertising.
Of two local dealers selling the Model D, one uses such info in its ad.
The other doesn't.  If this sort of thing makes a difference to you, con-
sider what action/s might prove effective, especially if you're considering
the purchase of a Leading Edge Model D.

--
Larry Kohn