[net.micro.pc] SMD controller for AT

saj@mit-prep.ARPA (Scott Jones) (03/13/86)

Basically I need 500 megabytes (or so) of pretty fast disk storage. Is
there an SMD controller for the IBM AT? Has anyone tried using a *real*
hard disk on the AT (like an eagle)? How does it perform? Does Xenix
support such hardware?

Thanks,
Scott Jones

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (03/14/86)

In article <16@mit-prep.ARPA> saj@mit-prep.ARPA (Scott Jones) writes:
>Basically I need 500 megabytes (or so) of pretty fast disk storage. Is
>there an SMD controller for the IBM AT? Has anyone tried using a *real*
>hard disk on the AT (like an eagle)? How does it perform? Does Xenix
>support such hardware?

In the next room we have a PC-AT with an Eagle interfaced through a controller
from Interphase Corp. in Dallas TX, 214-350-9000.  It has worked like a charm
for the past two years.  Under DOS, it appears as drives D: through O:.  We
use it as a network server disk.  No idea about Xenix support.
--
John Levine, Javelin Software, Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ decvax | harvard | think | ihnp4 | cbosgd }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.ARPA

The opinions above are solely those of a 12 year old hacker who has broken
into my account, and not those of my employer or any other organization.

corwin@cdp.UUCP (03/20/86)

I have an SMD controller from National Memory Systems on my IBM PC.
It is controlling a Century Data Systems AMS315 (285 megabytes formatted)
and it works great.  I checked out the card from Interphase Corp. but
found the NMS card better because it allows you to select the DMA channel
you want or the I/O addresses for that matter.  That way the potential for
conflicts with network controllers is reduced.  The NMS card also contains
a built-in SCSI controller, although I haven't used it.
One problem with
the NMS card is that it uses the NEC 7260 SMD controller lsi chip.  This
chip will run fast enough to keep up with standard SMD drives, but not
with Fujitsu Eagles.  I don't know about the Interphase card on this matter.

Corwin Nichols, MicroTech Exports, 415-324-9114
cdp!corwin@SU-Glacier.ARPA
ihnp4!hplabs!glacier!cdp!corwin
{decwrl,sun,bellcore}!glacier!cdp!corwin

corwin@cdp.UUCP (03/20/86)

Oops, National Memory Systems may be contacted at 415-443-1669.