[net.micro.pc] PC-LISP.EXE

petera@utcsri.UUCP (Smith) (02/28/86)

	I posted PC-LISP.EXE about a week and a half ago but have not heard
a peep about it since. Not even any flames which is quite unusual because
some of you lot will flame anything in any newsgroup. Did you guys out there
get it? If anyone has comments or flames please speak up.

	Peter Ashwood-Smith
	petera!utcsri

dcs@mb2c.UUCP (Don Sortor) (03/03/86)

> 	I posted PC-LISP.EXE about a week and a half ago but have not heard
> a peep about it since. Not even any flames which is quite unusual because
> some of you lot will flame anything in any newsgroup. Did you guys out there
> get it? If anyone has comments or flames please speak up.
>
> 	Peter Ashwood-Smith
> 	petera!utcsri

	I got your PC-LISP.EXE.  However, I've yet to get it to run.  Seems
that each time we try, we get an out of memory error.

	Is there a way to fix this?  Something we missed?  We're using it on
an IBM PC/AT with 1 meg of memory, so I don't think it's a PC problem.

coulter@hplabsc.UUCP (Michael Coulter) (03/03/86)

[Line eater food]

It showed up here in California.  I haven't gotten a chance to look at it.

-- Michael Coulter  {ihnp4, ucbvax, decvax}!hplabs!coulter

wei@princeton.UUCP (P Wei) (03/04/86)

In article <517@mb2c.UUCP> dcs@mb2c.UUCP (Don Sortor) writes:

>> 	I posted PC-LISP.EXE about a week and a half ago but have not heard
>> a peep about it since. Not even any flames which is quite unusual because
>> some of you lot will flame anything in any newsgroup. Did you guys out there
>> get it? If anyone has comments or flames please speak up.
>>
>> 	Peter Ashwood-Smith
>> 	petera!utcsri
>

>	I got your PC-LISP.EXE.  However, I've yet to get it to run.  Seems
>that each time we try, we get an out of memory error.
>
>	Is there a way to fix this?  Something we missed?  We're using it on
>an IBM PC/AT with 1 meg of memory, so I don't think it's a PC problem.

Mine turned out to work fine. At least, the supplied 'extfunc.l' worked
fine as it's supposed toI haven't had time to try to use it though.
I think the problem comes from transmision error.
HP Wei (wei@princeton)

bull@onion.cs.reading.UUCP (Stephen) (03/04/86)

Xpath: ukc eagle

I got it but it didn't work. (made a pritty picture on the screen though!)
I would be really grateful if someone would forward me a copy that does
work?

                stephen bull

room: maths 101, FURS 235.
tel:  (0734) 874123 ex 411   , ex 7203
mail: bull@onion.cs.reading.ac.uk

thinfilm@uicsl.UUCP (03/05/86)

    As some sites in the network truncate files at 64K , our site and perhaps
some others didn't receive an intact copy of the uuencoded file.  Perhaps it
would be helpful to repost in less than 64K chunks and then have people
reassemble it on the other end.
						Paul Fons
				{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!thinfilm

bet@ecsvax.UUCP (Bennett E. Todd III) (03/05/86)

I got it here and downloaded it without problems. It runs fine. It looks
like a pretty nice LISP; the only other one I had was XLISP. XLISP,
compiled under DeSmet C (which produces particularly small, fast code,
but small memory model only) took 43 seconds to do an Ackerman's
function benchmark; PC-LISP (which uses large memory) launches much
faster and ran the benchmark in 15 seconds. Looks like an acceptable
performer. Now maybe it's time to start learning LISP.

-Bennett
--

Bennett Todd -- Duke Computation Center, Durham, NC 27706-7756; (919) 684-3695
UUCP: ...{decvax,seismo,philabs,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!duccpc!bet

kumar@hpcea.HP (Arvind Kumar) (03/06/86)

The out-of-memory error I got was a local problem.

After uudecode-ing it, I used C-Kermit to transfer the .EXE
over, but forgot to SET FILE TYPE BINARY, with the result
that all LFs in the file got converted to CR LFs. Un*x and
its silly text file format!

latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (Ken Latham) (03/07/86)

No, all we got here was some short little note about UUCP not working.
I some one out there trying to keep this thing "down on the farm?"

				Ken Latham

sgt@alice.UucP (Steve Tell) (03/21/86)

>The out-of-memory error I got was a local problem.
>
>After uudecode-ing it, I used C-Kermit to transfer the .EXE
>over, but forgot to SET FILE TYPE BINARY, with the result
>that all LFs in the file got converted to CR LFs. Un*x and
>its silly text file format!
No sillier than any other text format.
I do wish that a standard had beed agreed upon back in the dark ages.