[net.micro.pc] UNERASE.COM WARNING

elric@proper.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) (04/15/86)

WARNING!
Beware of using a program called unerase.com.
I tried to use it yesterday on my IBM compat running PC-DOS 3.1,
and not only did it not recover the file, but it managled my disk.
I ended up lossing 5 more files.

I suggest that before using any unerase program, you copy the remaining
programs/files onto other disk, just in case..

Brad
qantel!proper!elric
lll-crg!dual!proper!elric
ucbvax!dual!proper!elric

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (Glenn Connery) (04/17/86)

> WARNING!
> Beware of using a program called unerase.com.
> I tried to use it yesterday on my IBM compat running PC-DOS 3.1,
> and not only did it not recover the file, but it managled my disk.
> I ended up lossing 5 more files.
>
> I suggest that before using any unerase program, you copy the remaining
> programs/files onto other disk, just in case..
>
> Brad
> qantel!proper!elric
> lll-crg!dual!proper!elric
> ucbvax!dual!proper!elric

If this is the unerase program from PC Magazine (quite a while ago now),
it only works on floppies.  If you tried to use it on a hard disk, it
might well have done what you said.  I have used the Norton utilitie's
unerase capabilities for a long time, both on my Compaq at home and on
an XT and now an AT at work, through numerous versions and have never had
a single problem.  Perhaps your compatible is not as compatible as it
should be?
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

elric@proper.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) (04/18/86)

In article <336@bnrmtv.UUCP> connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (Glenn Connery) writes:
>> WARNING!
>> Beware of using a program called unerase.com.
>>
>> Brad
>> qantel!proper!elric
>> lll-crg!dual!proper!elric
>> ucbvax!dual!proper!elric
>
>If this is the unerase program from PC Magazine (quite a while ago now),
>--
>
>Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
>{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

This program is from Byte Magazine, I have no idea what month, I got the
program from a BBS.
I'm glad I didn't have a hard drive to try it on....

Brad
(See path above)

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (04/19/86)

In article <190@proper.UUCP> elric@proper.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) writes:
>WARNING!
>Beware of using a program called unerase.com.
>I tried to use it yesterday on my IBM compat running PC-DOS 3.1,
>and not only did it not recover the file, but it managled my disk.
>I ended up lossing 5 more files.
>
>I suggest that before using any unerase program, you copy the remaining
>programs/files onto other disk, just in case..
>
>Brad
>qantel!proper!elric
>lll-crg!dual!proper!elric
>ucbvax!dual!proper!elric

[Inscribed along the walls of the CD's groove, the words "Eat my bits!"]

Second the motion...The version of Unerase in my possession appears to
work on floppies but trashes the FAT to blazes on a hard disk.  The
author never took the time to properly write the program to check out
which disk it is looking at. I've DEBUGged some of my copy and it looks
like a pretty poor design.  Spend the few bucks and pick up the Norton
Utilities (no commercial plug intended!) or other similar package.  This
is one program that you need to know works perfectly!  The time I tried
it on my hard disk... took me an hour to rebuild it!.

Alan

"I have a map of the United States.  It's actual size.  The legend says
one mile equals one mile." - Steven Wright

** Usenet: {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
** UUCP  : iav1917@ritcv.UUCP
** Bitnet: aiv1974@ritvaxd