[net.micro.pc] WANTED: Comments on these clones:

mth@ihnp1.UUCP (M. Horbal) (04/15/86)

Does anyone have any experience with or information about the following
two clones.  They are both advertized in the last DAK gadget catalog:

1. Visual (suppposedly the same people that make the terminal).  This
   machine has two floppy drives, and comes with a monitor. The price
   tag with a Silver Reed printer is $999.  There is an optional
   LCD display which can be attached to the top.  It's hinged so that
   it can be closed.

2. A portable Olivetti with one floppy and a 10Mb hard disk.  It seems
   to look like a Corona.  DAK gives you several packages with it.
   Price: $1699 (I think).

The prices seem OK, but what are these machines?
--

				Mark T. Horbal IH1b230
				...ihnp4!ihnp1!mth

colin@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Colin Kelley) (04/24/86)

In article <427@ihnp1.UUCP>, mth@ihnp1.UUCP (M. Horbal) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with or information about the following
> two clones.  They are both advertized in the last DAK gadget catalog:
> 2. A portable Olivetti with one floppy and a 10Mb hard disk.  It seems
>    to look like a Corona.  DAK gives you several packages with it.
>    Price: $1699 (I think).
>
> The prices seem OK, but what are these machines?
>
> 				Mark T. Horbal IH1b230

As usual, DAK is heavy on hype, not bargains.  The Olivetti is in fact the
old Corona portable.  It's not a bad machine:  great screen, 512K memory,
hard disk.  But it's got 4 slots, so it's pretty large.  But anyway, Corona
has in the last year modified their desktop PCs to have 640x400 monochrome
graphics rather than the older 640x325.  I bet they've probably changed their
portable also.  640x400 is MUCH more desirable since it can run in a 640x200
IBM compatibility mode.  Recent prices for the Coronas were down below $1300,
so it is quite possible that you can mail order a much better new model for
less than DAK's price...

Moral of the story:  If you think you see a bargain in a DAK catalog, look
again!

			-Colin Kelley ..{psuvax1,pyrnj}!vu-vlsi!colin