[net.micro.pc] Info Request of database for PC on N

flip@osu-cgrg (04/28/86)

> In <649@osu-cgrg.UUCP> flip@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Flip Phillips) writes:
> >dbaseIII+ with the lan-pack is one possibility...
> >good prices mail order.  I haven't used the lan pak yet but I have used
> >dbaseIII and III+ for quite a while now (since III's introduction) and
> >I find it to be a quite exceptional package.
>
> Mark Freeman writes:
>
> Clipper (a dBase compiler) and the 3rd party Novell support library is another
> possibility.  dBase III+ LAN is priced way out of line.  Get the non-LAN
> version.  Once you are done with its 'friendly' features, you can compile
> the application you have written, and make it run faster AND support the
> network.
>
>       [...]

however don't plan on using any of the full screen commands of dbaseIII nor
some of the new functions of dbaseIII+.  They are NOT supported in clipper.
This seems to take the ease out of some of the programming.  Commands such
as BROWSE, EDIT, APPEND, CHANGE don't work in full screen mode so you can't
page up and down throught the stuff.

However, if you do decide to go with this stuff, I have basic
implimentations of EDIT and BROWSE i cranked up for an application.

I also agree about the pricing of dbaseIII retail... way out of line. If
you plan on maybe not networking right away you can buy dbrun from
Ashton-Tate to go with dbaseIII+.  This allows you to run applications on
other machines without having an actual $700 dollar copy of dbase|||+ on
the machine.  AT sells then for $50 each, you gotta but in packs of 5.
Still not too bad if you don't want to go through the trouble of
networking.
BTW, last I heard, the lan-pak for dbaseIII+ was at $999 for 4 machines.
Seems to me that this is a little steep.  Anyone seen it cheaper?

flip
--

	Flip Phillips {ucbvax,decvax}!cbosg!osu-cgrg!flip
	Computer Graphics Research Group, The Ohio State Unversity

merfy@dsi1 (04/29/86)

In article <551@mhuxm.UUCP> kwan@mhuxm.UUCP (KWAN) writes:

>I plan to put a multi-user database on our Novell Advanced NetWare/68 file
>servers connecting to IBM PC compatibles as workstations running MS-DOS.  If
>you have used (or know of) multi-user database systems that run on these
>file servers, I appreciate you can let me know your experience.  We are
>particularly interested in databases with easy-to-use form and report
>generators.
>
>Choi Kwan
>ATT Bell Labs
>(201) 582-5727
>ihnp4!mhuxa!kwan

	The is a relational database management system that I am currently
running on a Multiuser Tandy Model 6000 ( running 3.1 XENIX ).  The package is
called INFORMIX, and is written by Relational Database Systems ( RDS ) and sold
through a company call Santa Cruz Operations ( SCO ).  The documentation
explains that it can be run in an MS-DOS environment.  I assume
that it will run in a network environment with the MS-DOS version.

	I think that INFORMIX ( it is a truely relational database ) is a
very good product.  Creating screens are as easy as setting up a format in
'vi'.The report generator and schema setup is easy to.  In addition, the lastest
versions of INFORMIX come with SQL Query Language.