[net.micro.pc] commercial terminal emulator recommendation

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (04/29/86)

In article <600@kepler.UUCP> mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
>demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>>            PROCOMM --> ...the emulations are pretty awful.
>>            PIBTERM --> Pretty icky user interface...
>I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
>software that does any better?

I can recommend a terminal simulator called VTERM from an outfit called
Coefficient Systems Corp. I beta-tested their product and I'm continuing
to use it as my everyday terminal emulator to carry on System Administration
work on our department's VAX (BSD Unix 4.3). It has good VT100 emulation, a
VT52 mode (I've verified that the VT52 works but I haven't used it extensively).

Built in to VTERM are Kermit, XMODEM and a couple other error-correcting
file transfer protocols (they provide source code for VMS, RSTS/E and
UNIX hosts). I use the Kermit extensively and it works great. I cannot
use the Xmodem because the comm link we use here at Tek (its the Sytek
broadband system) is not set up to allow Xmodem to work (^S makes the
system shut-up, so the 13th (?) Xmodem packet hangs the system).

Last I knew VTERM was going to sell for $100 - $150. I never did hear
the final proce. It is not copy protected. (The original version I
received to test *was* and I excoriated them for doing this on the
first review sheet I sent in. They dropped the copy protection.

keith

PS - Here's the info to contact Coefficient Systems:

	Coefficient Systems Corp
	611 Broadway
	New York, NY  10012
	(212) 777-6707

Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383         Beaverton OR 97077        (503)627-6042
uucp: [ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4|hplabs|(and_many_others)]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
CSnet: keithe%tekgvs@tektronix  ARPAnet: keithe%tekgvs%tektronix@csnet-relay

naparst@cartan (Harold Naparst) (05/02/86)

In article <1478@tekgvs.UUCP> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>In article <600@kepler.UUCP> mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
>>demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>>>            PROCOMM --> ...the emulations are pretty awful.
>>>            PIBTERM --> Pretty icky user interface...
>>I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
>>software that does any better?
>>
>I can recommend a terminal simulator called VTERM from an outfit called
>Coefficient Systems Corp. I beta-tested their product and I'm continuing
>to use it as my everyday terminal emulator to carry on System Administration
>work on our department's VAX (BSD Unix 4.3). It has good VT100 emulation, a
>VT52 mode (I've verified that the VT52 works but I haven't used it extensively).
>
>Built in to VTERM are Kermit, XMODEM and a couple other error-correcting
>file transfer protocols (they provide source code for VMS, RSTS/E and
>UNIX hosts). I use the Kermit extensively and it works great. I cannot
>use the Xmodem because the comm link we use here at Tek (its the Sytek
>broadband system) is not set up to allow Xmodem to work (^S makes the
>system shut-up, so the 13th (?) Xmodem packet hangs the system).
>
>Last I knew VTERM was going to sell for $100 - $150. I never did hear
>the final proce. It is not copy protected. (The original version I
>received to test *was* and I excoriated them for doing this on the
>first review sheet I sent in. They dropped the copy protection.

I am presently beta testing the new version of vterm.  It has a tektronix
4010 emulator and a local redisplay feature.  The Kermit is very easy to
use.  It has EGA support, and can dump onto many printers and pen plotters.
It has a scrollback buffer.  It has programmable features that will  let
you log on to a computer, perform some operations and log off, all auto-
matically.  Provided they get all the bugs out it will be a great package.

Harold Naparst
Harold Naparst (415)-848-4560

  UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!cartan!naparst
  New style	naparst@cartan.berkeley.edu
  ARPA | CSNET	naparst%cartan@berkeley.ARPA
  snail         2715 Dwight Way, #7  Berkeley, CA  94704

hart@cp1.UUCP (05/03/86)

I was also involved in the beta testing of Vterm. Have used it on
every system I could get access to (i.e. Unix SysV, Unix SysIII,
Xenix, VMS, and etc). I even found it to be very useful on Ham
packet radio. It passes our vt100 verification suite 100%.

Signed by:
	  Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
	  Minicomputer Technical Support District
	  Chesapeake & Potomac Tel. Co.
	  A Bell Atlantic Company
	  Silver Spring, Md.
UUCP:
  bellcore!cp1!hart - aplcen!cp1!hart - umcp-cs!cp1!hart - gamma!cp1!hart
INTERNET:
  umcp-cs!aplcen!cp1!hart@SEISMO.CSS.GOV