[net.micro.pc] RS232 to BSR remote control?

tomh@hpfcmt (04/11/86)

Does anyone have information on interfacing to BSR household remote
control devices?  This control is used to turn lights and appliances on and
off around the house by sending the signals over existing wiring.

I know that the Radio Shack Color computer has an interface box and
software for this purpose.  Unfortunately, the interface is through
the CoCo's tape connection that writes at 1200/2400 Hz.  I would like
to be able to control things through my standard serial interface.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Tom Huibregtse

ddl@harvard.UUCP (Dan Lanciani) (04/15/86)

	I recently purchased Heath's Rs232<->BSR interface.  Although
it works, it fails to control modules placed "far" from it electrically.
Note that all of my Command Consoles operate the same modules reliably.
I have concluded that the output signal is not as strong as that of the
standard BSR devices.  In any event, I have asked Heath for a correction.
	BSR itself appears to make an Rs232 interface called "Powerhouse"
or somesuch; it is available for ~$50 from DAK Industries and I have one
on order.  With any luck, it will work better.  I can send information
when it arrives, if anyone is interested.

					Dan Lanciani
					ddl@harvard.*

jel@portal.UUcp (John Little) (04/15/86)

In article <9800001@hpfcmt>, tomh@hpfcmt writes:
> Does anyone have information on interfacing to BSR household remote
> control devices?  This control is used to turn lights and appliances on and
> off around the house by sending the signals over existing wiring.

The X10 Computer Home Controller does just what you want.  It
comes with software for a Commodore 64/128 or Apple II, but you can easily
write your own routines.

It is available from DAK 800/325-0800 for $129.00.  My experience
with DAK has been very good.  They ship right away and accept
returned stuff with no questions.

John Little

smithson@calma.UUCP (04/21/86)

In article <119@portal.UUcp> jel@portal.UUcp (John Little) writes:
>In article <9800001@hpfcmt>, tomh@hpfcmt writes:
>> Does anyone have information on interfacing to BSR household remote
>> control devices?  This control is used to turn lights and appliances on and
>> off around the house by sending the signals over existing wiring.
>>

>The X10 Computer Home Controller does just what you want.  It
>comes with software for a Commodore 64/128 or Apple II, but you can easily
>write your own routines.
>
>It is available from DAK 800/325-0800 for $129.00.  My experience
>with DAK has been very good.  They ship right away and accept
>returned stuff with no questions.
>
>John Little
Hope you didn't send $129 -- the latest catalog I have from DAK has the
price "slashed" to $49.90.  Not only that, they have software available for
the IBM PC and the Mac.

mikey@bbimg (04/24/86)

About 7 years ago Radio Shack sold a little box for about $40 or so
that could talk to ALL the BSR controllers, at any address!  It was
driven by the casssette port on the Model I or Model 3.  All the
box had in it was a trasnformer to couple to the AC line and a
zero crossing detector, supposedly so the software could tell
when to pulse the line.  It'd probably be VERY interesting to
disassemble the old Z80 code.

				Mike Yetsko
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

lacasse@randvax.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) (05/06/86)

RE:
    Several years ago Radio Shack sold .....  hooks up to TRS-80 model
    III or COCO cassette port....  very simple BSR interface, could send
    all codes....    Would be very interesting to disassemble the code....

I have one of these boxes, unused, with its software on cassette,
available for sale cheap (say $35) if this really is that interesting to
someone.

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street              lacasse@Rand-Unix
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 7420