[net.micro.pc] Mail-order horror: PC Network.

damora@h-sc1.UUCP (jesarielle damora) (04/11/86)

We recently ordered a variety of equipment from PC Network.

They were horrible.  They quote 2-3 week delivery on items they
don't really expect for 2-3 months.  Having rushed an incomplete
WordPerfect they insisted on replacement (not credit) even with a
six-week backorder.  In fact, their product replacement process
has suffered a computer breakdown, so if you have any problems,
well, don't be in a hurry.

We have also dealt with PC Connections, who couldn't have been nicer.

Reply as above, to damora@h-sc4.ARPA, or to 617-489-1838.

ugstantn@sunybcs.UUCP (Amy Stanton) (04/26/86)

In article <1048@h-sc1.UUCP>, damora@h-sc1.UUCP (jesarielle damora) writes:
> We recently ordered a variety of equipment from PC Network.
>
> They were horrible.  They quote 2-3 week delivery on items they
> don't really expect for 2-3 months.  Having rushed an incomplete
> WordPerfect they insisted on replacement (not credit) even with a

I've had great luck with PC Network. I've placed three orders and
everything came in sooner than they promised and their prices
are great.

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (04/29/86)

Sorry for heresay, but...

A friend of mine sent them an order and a money order to pay for
it.  They said they never received either.  Yes, you could argue it
was his fault for sending an untraceable form of money, but I
thought I should add this for the record.

He lost $250.

Tom Reingold
Rockefeller University
New York City
{seismo|ihnp4}!cmcl2!rna!rocky2!reintom

jabusch@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (04/29/86)

	I too have had good luck with PC Network.  I ordered a 20Mb
Seagate Drive and Western Digital controller from them and received it
right on schedule, 7 days later.  The only problem was that the cables
had the wrong kind of connectors on one end, and would not match the
disk drive.  A 2 minute call to them cured that.  They told me 5 more
days till the replacement would get to me, but it only took 3, at no
extra postage/handling charges.  Very nice service, on schedule,
prompt and courteous help.  I'm sorry to hear that others have had bad
luck with them.  Perhaps this is a seasonal problem, such as a swamp
around the holidays???

mellon@mit-prep.ARPA (Ted Lemonmellon/.name) (05/07/86)

    I think that PC Network's problems are basically organizational.
    If they have a policy for something, such as your complaint, they
    can respond in a reasonable way.   If they don't have a policy for
    your problem, you're out of luck.   Let me describe my most recent
    encounted with them:

    In November of 1985, I ordered a ProDOS Assembler from them.   I
    was told that they had it in stock and would ship it immediately.
    When, in December, it still hadn't arrived, I called and asked
    what had happened.   They told me that they were out of stock, but
    would be shipping real soon.   When I got back from an extended
    Christmas vacation (1 week), I had a package from PC Network on my
    desk.   The package had arrived right after I left on vacation.
    Unfortunately, the package contained UNIX for the AT&T PC 7300, a
    $1k value.   I called them and asked to return it, and was given
    the run-around until I pointer out that I was about $950 ahead on
    the deal, and that we would both benefit by my returning the UNIX
    software.   At this point, I didn't want to wait any longer for
    the assembler, so I told them to cancel the order and send me a
    refund.   When they got the UNIX system back, they sent me a
    notice stating that they could not give me a full refund because I
    had not returned the product within 15 days.   They insisted on
    keeping a 20% restocking fee and a 20% evaluation fee.   I had
    several phone conversations with a person in customer service, all
    of which ended up with me talking to an answering machine.
    Leaving my name and number on the machine yielded no response.
    At this point, I sent a notice of dispute to American Express,
    whose charge card I had used to purchase the offending assembler.
    After about a month, I called PC Network to find out what was
    going on, and they told me that they had issued me a full credit
    several weeks before, which suggests that AmEx withheld payment.
    I don't think this problem stemmed from a desire to rip me off.
    Rather, I suspect that there just wasn't anyone there whose
    job it was to take responsibility for solving non-standard
    problems...

			       _MelloN_--
Ted Lemon
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!mellon
INTERNET:   mellon@prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
   1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
HOME: 18 Kennedy Drive, North Chelmsford, Massachusetts