[net.micro.pc] The filesize fix in Wendin UNIX

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (04/10/86)

It turns out the notion of memory requirements (contained in file headers)
is different for DOS and for the Wendin UNIX system.  The fix is a small
program provided in Wendin UNIX called exefix.exe.  Thus, MicroSoft's
linker as well as most other DOS programs will run under Wendin UNIX, the
exceptions being programs which write directly to hardware and one or two
others such as WordPerfect which get lost, and which Wendin is now in-
vestigating.

ljz@well.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/08/86)

In article <534@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>It turns out the notion of memory requirements (contained in file headers)
>is different for DOS and for the Wendin UNIX system.  The fix is a small
>program provided in Wendin UNIX called exefix.exe.  Thus, MicroSoft's
>linker as well as most other DOS programs will run under Wendin UNIX, the
>exceptions being programs which write directly to hardware and one or two
>others such as WordPerfect which get lost, and which Wendin is now in-
>vestigating.

Yes, but there's more ...

Programs that access the DOS PATH and use the 4B DOS function call
sometimes seem to get confused.  That's because Wendin has replaced
4B with its own call that has access to PCUNIX's PATH, not DOS's.  Since
this PATH uses commas as separators instead of semicolons, some programs
get quite confused, including Microsoft's C compiler, which uses 4B.  Steve
Jones (author of PCUNIX) knows about this and is working on it, though.

The Epsilon text editor (the best one around for MSDOS, in my opinion)
won't run under PCUNIX, either.  I think it's a combination of factors:
Epsilon replaces interrupt vectors, uses function call 4B, takes up
a decent amount of memory, and even has its own non-preemptive multitasking
subsystem ... it's probably just too much for PCUNIX.

But it's a great idea, and I wholeheartedly support Wendin's effort.  I'm
sure many of these problems will be resolved in future versions.  Plus,
you DO get the source code.

Lloyd Zusman
Master Byte Software
(408) 395-5693