[net.micro.pc] MS-DOS "copy"

dsc@drutx.UUCP (DavisCS) (04/29/86)

Have I overlooked something obvious???

My pc is configured with a floppy (a:) and a hard disk (c:). Frequently
I need to copy files SELECTIVELY from one floppy to another. The
procedure I use is to first copy them from drive (a) to (c) and then
from drive (c) to the "new floppy" in drive (a).

Seems like there should be a variation of "copy" that will move the
files from drive (a) into a memory buffer until full, prompt me to
insert the "copy to" diskette, write out the buffer, and so on till
done.

Did I miss something in MS-DOS? If not, seems like a good candidate for
another utility (maybe it already exists).

Thanks,
Scott Davis

cramer@kontron.UUCP (04/30/86)

> Have I overlooked something obvious???
>
> My pc is configured with a floppy (a:) and a hard disk (c:). Frequently
> I need to copy files SELECTIVELY from one floppy to another. The
> procedure I use is to first copy them from drive (a) to (c) and then
> from drive (c) to the "new floppy" in drive (a).
>
> Seems like there should be a variation of "copy" that will move the
> files from drive (a) into a memory buffer until full, prompt me to
> insert the "copy to" diskette, write out the buffer, and so on till
> done.
>
> Did I miss something in MS-DOS? If not, seems like a good candidate for
> another utility (maybe it already exists).
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Davis

Try using COPY A:GLOB A:

At least on a one-drive PC, this works.  I'm not sure if PC-DOS checks
the number of drives before doing this type of COPY or not.  Worth
experimenting with, though.

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (05/01/86)

In article <233@drutx.UUCP> dsc@drutx.UUCP (DavisCS) writes:
>Have I overlooked something obvious???
>
>My pc is configured with a floppy (a:) and a hard disk (c:). Frequently
>I need to copy files SELECTIVELY from one floppy to another. The
>procedure I use is to first copy them from drive (a) to (c) and then
>from drive (c) to the "new floppy" in drive (a).

It's not really obvious, but even when you have only one floppy drive,
DOS maps 2 logical drives to it, A and B.  So you can do:

copy a:*.c b:

and DOS will copy some of the *.c files on the floppy on A: into memory,
then prompt you to strike any key when drive B: is ready.  Change the
floppy in your floppy drive, strike any key, then DOS will copy what's
in memory to the floppy in drive A:.  You will get prompted again to
strike any key when drive A: is ready.  Put the source floppy back in
again, and strike any key.  Repeat until done.

I'm not sure, but I think copy only uses a maximum of 64K of memory
when doing the copy (possibly the DMA limitation), so if you have
a lot to copy it would be faster to use your current method.

	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
ARPA:	kneller@ucsf-cgl.ARPA
BITNET:	kneller@ucsfcgl.BITNET

PS. Anyone know why IBM is now advertising "fixed disks" as "hard files"?
--

john@musocs.UUCP (John Kirkpatrick) (05/03/86)

In article <233@drutx.UUCP>, dsc@drutx.UUCP (DavisCS) writes:

> My pc is configured with a floppy (a:) and a hard disk (c:). Frequently
> I need to copy files SELECTIVELY from one floppy to another. The
> procedure I use is to first copy them from drive (a) to (c) and then
> from drive (c) to the "new floppy" in drive (a).
>
> Seems like there should be a variation of "copy" that will move the
> files from drive (a) into a memory buffer until full, prompt me to
> insert the "copy to" diskette, write out the buffer, and so on till
> done.

Seems to me that with this configuration, you should be able to type

		copy a:filename b:

to get the job done. DOS treats the one floppy drive as both a: and b:
and will prompt you to change diskettes when it needs to write to the
other drive.

Hope this helps.

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (05/07/86)

In article <233@drutx.UUCP> dsc@drutx.UUCP (DavisCS) writes:
>Have I overlooked something obvious???
>
>My pc is configured with a floppy (a:) and a hard disk (c:). Frequently
>I need to copy files SELECTIVELY from one floppy to another. The
>procedure I use is to first copy them from drive (a) to (c) and then
>from drive (c) to the "new floppy" in drive (a).

It's easy to do what you want, though perhaps not obvious.  All MS-DOS
machines have two diskette drives, even when they don't.  If they don't, the
one real drive is time-shared between A: and B:.  That means that to copy
a file from one floppy to another, merely type:

	copy a:file.ext b:

and it will copy the file, prompting you to put in the A: disk and then the
B: disk.  Copy reads big chunks so usually one disk swap per file is enough.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU

farmer@ico (05/07/86)

About copying files between floppies with only one drive.  I think the
original poster was wanting to copy multiple selected files at a time.  The
problem with copy a:GLOB to b: is that dos makes you swap the disk for every
file.

The only solution that I have found better than copying to the hard disk is
to use a ram disk.

David Farmer
Usual disclaimers.

peter@baylor.UUCP (05/09/86)

> > Have I overlooked something obvious???
> >
> > Seems like there should be a variation of "copy" that will move the
> > files from drive (a) into a memory buffer until full, prompt me to
> > insert the "copy to" diskette, write out the buffer, and so on till
> > done.

COPY A: B:

On a one-drive PC A: and B: are seperate logical drives. It will prompt
you to switch disks (after every file, alas).
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076