[net.micro.pc] DOS 3.1 environ size

dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) (04/18/86)

HELP!!!!!  No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get PC-DOS 3.1 to
give me more environment.  Here is my config.sys file:

	SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P C:\ /E:63
	FILES=20
	DEVICE=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS
	BUFFERS=30
	COUNTRY=001
	LASTDRIVE=Z

I can leave out the shell= line and it makes no difference at all.  I
still run out of environ space at the same place in my list of set
commands.  YES, I am sure that I'm running DOS 3.10.  What is going on
here?  Answer by main unless it is of interest to the whole net.

Thanks in advance...

					Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
APRA:    dlnash@ngp.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  cceu001@utadnx

        "If you can't say something nice, then don't" -- anonymous

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (04/21/86)

> HELP!!!!!  No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get PC-DOS 3.1 to
> give me more environment.  Here is my config.sys file:
>
> 	SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P C:\ /E:63
> 	FILES=20
> 	DEVICE=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS
> 	BUFFERS=30
> 	COUNTRY=001
> 	LASTDRIVE=Z
>
> I can leave out the shell= line and it makes no difference at all.  I
> still run out of environ space at the same place in my list of set
> commands.  YES, I am sure that I'm running DOS 3.10.  What is going on
> here?  Answer by main unless it is of interest to the whole net.

I think your problem is caused by putting c: after the /p.  format of command is supposed to be:

shell=drive/pathname_of_command_processor drive/path_to_command_process
      /p/e:number_of_16_byte_paragraphs

      where:  10<paragraphs<63

Example: c: is location of drive containing DOS 3.1 and config.sys
         expanding environment to 30 paragraphs of 16 bytes each,
         or 480 bytes

shell=c:\command.com c:\/p/e:30

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Rm. 3E-318A
Whippany, NJ 07981
201-386-6865

email:whuxg!2212msr

white@ti-csl (04/21/86)

	I have in the past, tried to resolve this.  There seems to
be a case of Catch-22.  You may only add so much to the environment
while a program is loaded.  After that point you must add to that
environment from the command line.  The reason you can not do this
from a batch file is, the batch file is loaded at that time.  This
also goes if you have a bunch of transient device drivers loaded.
For instance, if I have the GSS*CGI drivers loaded on my AT I can
not add to my environment space even from the command line.  If
I unload my drivers I may then add to my environment space then
reinstall the device drivers.
	In short, you can't get there from here.

	Robert J. White

PS: If you find you can, let me know! I want to do it to!

	CS-NET:	white@tilde.ti

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (05/01/86)

Try /E:25 or so. There is an upper limit on this value and 63 is probably too
big and is ignored. I run 20 and I know it works!
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) (05/04/86)

In article <712@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:

>Try /E:25 or so. There is an upper limit on this value and 63 is probably too
>big and is ignored. I run 20 and I know it works!
>--
>	-bill davidsen

The upper limit seems to be 62.

white@ti-csl (05/09/86)

I have used /e:60 on the TI-Business Pro with great success, but this
is using MS-DOS...I have found that using PC-DOS on our AT's that the
secret /e switch crashes the system.

	Robert J White
	white@tilde.ti