[net.micro.pc] Looking for NANSI.SYS....

dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (05/06/86)

Just got uEmacs 3.6, and I see in the documentation that it requires
the NANSI.SYS driver, which I don't have and can't find.  Can't run
uEmacs without it, because it hangs up my machine.  Would someone who
has NANSI.SYS be able to mail it to me?  Thanx!

		Davidann

--
Name: David P. Zimmerman	Nickname: "Davidann" (don't ask)
Cute quote: " (well, *I* think it's cute!)

sjl@hropus.UUCP (Steve Leitman) (05/08/86)

I'm interested in having NANSI.SYS also. Perhaps a posting to
net.sources would be appropriate. Thanks in advance to the
volunteer.

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (05/09/86)

In article <4920@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> dpz@topaz.UUCP writes:

>Just got uEmacs 3.6, and I see in the documentation that it requires
>the NANSI.SYS driver, which I don't have and can't find.  Can't run
>uEmacs without it, because it hangs up my machine.  Would someone who
>has NANSI.SYS be able to mail it to me?  Thanx!

Perhaps  it  would  be a good idea if someone posted a copy of NANSI.SYS
too.  I haven't seen any copies of it this side of the Atlantic and  ftp
isn't  exactly  easy  from  here. Surely,  if it is needed for uEmacs it
should be archived *with* uEmacs??
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

castor@escher.UUCP (Castor Fu) (05/11/86)

> 	No,No, that sounds like a transmission error. It requires ANSI.SYS
> which is quite ordinary and comes with just about every MSDOS I have ever
> seen. What are you compiling under??? MicroSoft C seems to be having a
> problem with the intdos() function in termio.c IE under Lattice (which I have)
> 					Daniel Lawrence
> 			ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!duncan!lawrence

Maybe I should clear up some of the confusion.  Dan Kegel and I obtained
what we thought was microemacs 3.6 from mod.sources a little while back.
We modified it to work under microsoft C.  We also worked quite a bit
on optimizing the display code to take advantage of Dan's NANSI.SYS device
driver.  We finally got it to the point where  emacs could almost
keep up with the PgDn autorepeat on an IBM PC/AT. Anyways, what we
were working with was I guess the DEC redistribution of MicroEmacs, and
our modifications have been distributed to many people.  We hope anyone
who was confused by our misunderstanding accepts our apologies.  With
the recent posting of the REAL MicroEmacs 3.6 I think we will probably
try to back substitute our modifications, as I like many of the advertised
features, and try to our changes integrated into the mainstream distribution.

Any questions, or comments should go to either myself (clf@tybalt.caltech.edu
or ihnp4!escher!fu) or Dan, (kegel@tybalt.caltech.edu).
		-Castor Fu