[net.micro.pc] Need help with BASIC compiler

d@alice.UucP (Daniel Rosenberg) (05/10/86)

Help!

I'm using the IBM Basic Compiler (version 2) on an AT&T PC 6300,
with 640K of memory.

I'm trying to have a main module, in one source file, CALL with
variables to be passed to a subprogram in another source file.
It all compiles and links fine, but:

1) Some of the variables (which are two-dimensional arrays) get
weird values in them.

2) Some of the original ON KEY (n) statements from the
main program don't call the corresponding routines in the
subprogram, but go back to the MAIN program. How can I keep
this from happening?

3) All sorts of other weird erros creep in, usually manifesting themselves
in the form of ILLEGAL FUNCTION CALL IN LINE 0 IN MODULE <subprogram>

Can anyone give me any help at all? Really appreciated! Thanks,

--
############# Dan Rosenberg ### CE @# AT&T Bell Labs, Murray^Hill ##########
#         [ These opinions are necessarily mine, not my emp/o\yer's. ]     #

brown@nicmad.UUCP (05/12/86)

In article <5433@alice.uUCp> d@alice.UucP (Daniel Rosenberg) writes:
>Help!
>
>I'm using the IBM Basic Compiler (version 2) on an AT&T PC 6300,
>with 640K of memory.
>
>I'm trying to have a main module, in one source file, CALL with
>variables to be passed to a subprogram in another source file.
>It all compiles and links fine, but:
>
>1) Some of the variables (which are two-dimensional arrays) get
>weird values in them.

This is because both IBM's and Microsoft's first release of their BASIC
compilers had a bug that caused DYNAMIC arrays to give either the address
of the array or one of the pointers (if 2 or more dimensions).  Microsoft
has sent an update diskette to all registered QUICKBasic users, but IBM
has still to get out a version that works right.  I am on the fourth patch
diskette and am still having trouble.

I can't help on the other two questions.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \