[net.micro.pc] Need help on PC keyboard cable

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (05/10/86)

I've built myself an extension keyboard cable using some Belden
cable (about 6.5 ft long) and DIN connectors from the local Radio Shack.

While there do not appear to be any open or shorted connections,
I noticed some strange behaviour including a self-induced reset
and a partial freezeup.  These occurred after the machine had been
up and running for a while and disappeared after a reboot.

I connected all five pins straight through.  The cable is shielded
but there are 10 conductors inside the shielding.  One thing I did not
do is connect the metal shells that surround the connectors themselves.
Are they supposed to be grounded?

Anybody got any ideas?
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: {allegra|decvax|duke|floyd|linus|ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!george
BELL: (416)475-8980

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (05/13/86)

In article <3418@mnetor.UUCP> george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>I've built myself an extension keyboard cable using some Belden
>cable (about 6.5 ft long) and DIN connectors from the local Radio Shack.
> []
>I noticed some strange behaviour including a self-induced reset
>and a partial freezeup.
> []
>Are they supposed to be grounded?
>--
I'm not sure about the grounding, but I can say that I've used (and
bought for dozens of others to use) standard Hi-Fi/Stereo-type 5-pin
D.I.N. 10-foot extension cables (which sell for about $3-$4) on IBM-PCs,
and XTs with absolutely no problems at all.

--
Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709