[net.micro.pc] update on pc that I never turn off

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (05/09/86)

Howdy -
	I thought I'd give an update on my PC, the one that, except
for a few days around Christmas, has been powered up since before
Thanksgiving 1985. Remember I said earlier that I was occasionally
having problems getting the add-on 10 Megabyte hard disk drive to
come up to speed at power on and so decided to leave it on and avoid
the problem that way.
	Well, it hasn't skipped a beat yet! One thing that is important
in this is that I have wired up a reset button that I can hit if I do
something stupid that gets the machine hung; otherwise I *would* have
to power down to reset it. I just hit the reset button and it re-boots
(off the floppy disk - this is a PC-1, with the 64kbyte mother board).
	The monitor is also left powered on. It is the IBM monochrome,
and the only concession I make is to turn down the intensity to nearly
invisible when I leave at night. But it's doing OK, too.

keith

PS - now watch: Murphy will probably come in when I leave tonight
     and break my PC. Sigh....

bright@dataio.UUCP (05/09/86)

In article <1499@tekgvs.UUCP> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>	I thought I'd give an update on my PC, the one that, except
>for a few days around Christmas, has been powered up since before
>Thanksgiving 1985. Remember I said earlier that I was occasionally
>having problems getting the add-on 10 Megabyte hard disk drive to
>come up to speed at power on and so decided to leave it on and avoid
>the problem that way.
>	Well, it hasn't skipped a beat yet!

I wouldn't try that myself, as the power fails around Seattle an
average of once a month during the winter. I wouldn't want my PC
randomly glitching and booting whenever the winds pick up around here.
(Sometimes, during high winds, the power glitches so much that the
image on my CRT 'shivers' constantly. When that happens, I shut it down and
go read a book.)
It's easy to tell when the power failed. All my clocks have lost time...

lewan@utcs.uucp (S. Lewandowsky) (05/13/86)

We have a few PCs in our laboratory, two of which are hard disk
equipped (one standard XT, the other one with a TECMAR expansion
chassis).  Those two PCs ran for a period of close to a year
in 1984-85 UNINTERRUPTED (well, except for Canadian thanksgiving
in October 84)!
We have had no problems whatsoever; the machines are still doing
well, although we do switch them off on occasion now because the
work load is less.

lewan@utcs
(S. Lewandowsky, Psychology, University of Toronto)