[net.micro.pc] a shell for the pc?

liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) (05/16/86)

I am looking for any sort of cshell for the pc that will compile with the
lattice c compiler or turbo-pascal or assembler.  A bourne shell look-alike
would also be ok (but I would love to have history).

Does anybody have PD programs for this or other things that I have not thought
of?  I have to stop using Xenix for a while and do some pc-stuff on the DOS
side....and I hate dos.

thanks a lot in advance
lizzy
caip!unirot!liz		sommers@rutgers.edu

ljz@well.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/16/86)

In article <626@unirot.UUCP> liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) writes:
>I am looking for any sort of cshell for the pc that will compile with the
>lattice c compiler or turbo-pascal or assembler.  A bourne shell look-alike
>would also be ok (but I would love to have history).

Allen Holub of Dr. Dobb's Journal has written an 'sh' for the PC.  It's
a hybrid between Bourne and C-Shell ... it looks sorta like Bourne but
has command history.  He wants $29.95 for it, including source code.  It's
been written in Microsoft C, which isn't Lattice but should convert fairly
easily.  For another $29.95 you can get a few unix-like utils such as
'ls', 'grep', etc. ... source code, too.  I think there'd be a discount
for both together (something like $49.95 for both).

You should call first and get the latest info on it, as I happen to
know Allen Holub keeps improving it, but Dr. Dobb's may not have the
latest and greatest version.

They have a toll-free number, but that might only be for orders and the
people there may not be up on the technical details.  That number is
(800) 528-6050, ext 4001.  You could probably write Allen Holub direct
care of Dr. Dobb's:

Dr. Dobb's Journal
501 Galveston Dr.
Redwood City, Calif.  94063

Also ... there is a PD C-Shell for the PC.  It's pretty good, as far as
I can tell, but I haven't received the most up-to-date version yet.  It
also comes with source code.  The author (whose name escapes me) asks
a $25.00 donation if you like it, and doesn't mind public postings.  It's
written, I believe in Aztec C, but again, I believe it won't take a lot
of hacking to get it through Lattice.  As soon as I receive it, I'll
post it here.  Stay tuned ...

jacobsn@csd2.UUCP (Nicholas H. Jacobs) (05/16/86)

Dr. Dobbs' Journal has recently published a UNIX-like shell that supports
among other things a history listing. The shell uses a subset of commands
from both the Bourne and the C shell. It can be obtained on a a PC format
diskette for $29.95 (sorry, but I don't have the address handy).

The language does not have constructs to perform looping or expressions,
so compared to the standard shells on UNIX it is somewhat lacking for
writing scripts, but as an interactive shell it is useful.

It was originally developed using Microsoft C 3.0, but has subsequently
been ported by the author to Lattice. The source code is sent along with
an executable.

For all the MS-DOS hackers, in UNIX as you may indeed well know, there are
very few commands actually built into the various shell. For this reason,
many of the standard commands that MS-DOS's COMMAND.COM pick up are NOT
supported by this shell program. So, for that reason you may find it useful
to get a copy of the utility programs sold by Dr. Dobb's Journal, also
for $29.95.

At my work place we are primarily a C/UNIX house, but we do port our product
to the PC, so this is a useful tool when we actually have to any programming
on it.

Hope this is a useful product for you.

			Nicholas Jacobs
			!cmcl2!csd2!jacobsn