[net.micro.pc] PD Communications Program Wanted

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (04/24/86)

Help from the net-folk, if you please:

I am in dire straits, and I hope that someone can help. I have an IBM-XT,
and I would like a public domain communications program that can perform both
KERMIT and XMODEM up/downloads, and can emulate a terminal that *works* with
*all* UNIX programs. (vi, for instance.) Things I have tried:
            KERMIT --> Works fine, except there is no XMODEM protocol
            PROCOMM --> Terrific user interface and menu systems. Also
                        performs great up/downloads, but the emulations
                        are pretty awful. Try using it with vi sometime,
                        its amusing. (Yes, I have version 2.20)
            PIBTERM --> Pretty icky user interface, but other than that
                        it is the same as PROCOMM. (Good transfers, but
                        none of the emulators work properly.)

Anyone out there have any other suggestions? Please email or post responses. If
there is any interest, I will summarize for people....

Thanks in advance....

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

          "If you can't trust wimp lawyers anymore,
                 who can you trust...?"
                        -- Mildred Krebs

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (04/25/86)

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>            PROCOMM --> Terrific user interface and menu systems. Also
>                        performs great up/downloads, but the emulations
>                        are pretty awful. Try using it with vi sometime,
>                        its amusing. (Yes, I have version 2.20)
>            PIBTERM --> Pretty icky user interface, but other than that
>                        it is the same as PROCOMM. (Good transfers, but
>                        none of the emulators work properly.)

I've noticed exactly the same thing you have.  I've been using Procomm
because its vt100 works pretty well for my girlfriend calling a VAX
using "All-in-one" application software.  Otherwise I've been terribly
disappointed by the terminal emulations.  I didn't realize it was so
difficult!  (In Procomm even the ANSI-BBS emulation doesn't quite work.
If he would just get out of the way and let ANSI.SYS deal with it, I
could write a working termcap.)

I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
software that does any better?

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

rwb@cher.UUCP (04/27/86)

> Help from the net-folk, if you please:
>
> I am in dire straits, and I hope that someone can help. I have an IBM-XT,
> and I would like a public domain communications program that can perform both
> KERMIT and XMODEM up/downloads, and can emulate a terminal that *works*....
>                            --- Rob DeMillo

I've been using a PD program called PC-VT, ver 8.3. It does a good
job of emulating a DEC vt100. The interface is not as slick as Procomm,
but the terminal emulation works, and it supports XMODEM (which I've
used) and KERMIT (which I have not used).

                               Bob Beveridge
                               Benetics Corp.

p.s.: I keep hearing about what a great program Procomm is; I'm glad that
someone else has noticed that NONE of the terminal emulations seem to work....

hes@ecsvax (04/28/86)

> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
> >            PROCOMM --> Terrific user interface and menu systems. Also
> >                        performs great up/downloads, but the emulations
> >                        are pretty awful. Try using it with vi sometime,
> >                        its amusing. (Yes, I have version 2.20)
> >            PIBTERM --> Pretty icky user interface, but other than that
> >                        it is the same as PROCOMM. (Good transfers, but
> >                        none of the emulators work properly.)
>
> I've noticed exactly the same thing you have.  I've been using Procomm
> because its vt100 works pretty well for my girlfriend calling a VAX
> using "All-in-one" application software.  Otherwise I've been terribly
> disappointed by the terminal emulations.  I didn't realize it was so
> difficult! ...
>
> I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
> software that does any better?
>
> --
> Mojo
> ... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
> {lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!kepler!mojo

  I've been using PC-VT Version 8.3 which is user supported software
done by Mark Divecchio (sp?).  It does a good job of emulating a
VT100, and works well with the unix vt100 termcap for vi, and also
work with VMS.  It also emulates the VT-52, but I've never tried that.
--henry schaffer

emv@umix.UUCP (Edward Vielmetti) (04/28/86)

I too had problems with the terminal emulation with Procomm 2.2,
but their 2.3 version seems to work quite a bit better.  It's
been out more than a month or so, and should have made it to
a local public bbs or user group by now.

Edward Vielmetti  Computing Center Microgroup  University of Michigan
(313) 747-3744    emv%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA

jay@ethos (04/28/86)

	I've heard that XTALK works perfectly, but I'll have to admit that I've
never tried it.  The problems that you're having with vi are hapening on my
amiga too.  (used procomm, now using online, same symptoms, but less with
online)  Of course the easiest way is to find a terminal emulator without
terminal emulation, then use the ANSI.SYS driver.

	Oh yeah, one more thing, like the previous messages say, PLEASE post to
your own group, I'm getting tired of seeing messages for IBM PoCs in
net.micro.  Believe it or not, the rest of the world could care less about the
PC.

--
Jay Denebeim				"One world, one egg, one basket."
  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!rti-sel!ethos!jay

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) (04/28/86)

In article <118@cher.UUCP> rwb@cher.UUCP (Bob Beveridge) writes:
>> KERMIT and XMODEM up/downloads, and can emulate a terminal that *works*....
>>                            --- Rob DeMillo
>
>I've been using a PD program called PC-VT, ver 8.3. It does a good
>job of emulating a DEC vt100. The interface is not as slick as Procomm,
>
>                               Bob Beveridge
>                               Benetics Corp.
>
>p.s.: I keep hearing about what a great program Procomm is; I'm glad that
>someone else has noticed that NONE of the terminal emulations seem to work....

This is just an aside folks. If you want to find out just how good a job
of vt100 emulation a particular program does, just use it to call the
Digital on-line order number. (1-800-DEC-DEMO).

A.Kacker
UUCP    : {allegra|seismo|decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!akk2
BITNET  : HNUC@UORVM

mjw@aluxp (05/01/86)

In article <600@kepler.UUCP> mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:

>I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
>software that does any better?
>
>Mojo
>... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
>{lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!kepler!mojo

	Just a mild flame.  I find it very interesting that you seem to be
indicating that persons/companies who chose to distribute their products as
'shareware' are not 'professional' developers.  Does MicroPro encourage you
to attack this concept?

	I happen to believe that products such as PROCOMM, PIBTERM, PC WRITE,
CED, FANSI-CONSOLE, etc. are some of the best in their performance vs. price
ratios.  Most of these products are revised at short intervals when users
report problems and the corrections are available to all within a short amount
of time on LOCAL, PUBLIC resources.  The key point here is that the authors of
these products communicate DIRECTLY with their users and are RECEPTIVE to their
customers' suggestions for improvement as well as correction of problem areas.
Users' need not wait for the next major release for bugs to be fixed or
surrender a disk to get an update.

	MicroPro does market some very good software.  In my opinion it is
incredibly overpriced; I tend to avoid it whenever possible and deliberately
look for a 'shareware' product that will perform the needed function (even if
I can get my employer to pick up the tab).

	To all the authors of software distributed as 'shareware', keep up the
good work and thank you for your faith in the user community!

--

Regards,				AT&T Bell Laboratories
Michael Weber				1255 South Cedar Crest Boulevard

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/02/86)

In article <270@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) writes:
>>p.s.: I keep hearing about what a great program Procomm is; I'm glad that
>>someone else has noticed that NONE of the terminal emulations seem to work....
>

>This is just an aside folks. If you want to find out just how good a job
>of vt100 emulation a particular program does, just use it to call the
>Digital on-line order number. (1-800-DEC-DEMO).

The Demo version of Pro-YAM properly displays the DEC store demo, and has
XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM, B, Kermit and SuperKermit protocols.  It can be
downloaded from TeleGodzilla in the file YAMDEMO.LQR.

   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
   Author of Professional-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
 Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
Voice: 503-621-3406 TeleGodzilla: 621-3746 300/1200 L.sys entry for omen:
omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (05/06/86)

Spend the money and buy Crosstalk. Supports Kermit (have used), XMODEM
(have not used), and emulates a number of terminals. I emulate a VT-100
on a DEC-20 to do Emacs and spreadsheets, and a TVI-920 to emulate a
3270 (I'm going through a protocol converter) to do work on an Amdahl.
You can run other programs from within Crosstalk (like your editor, if
you have enough memory). Also, Microstuf's technical support people, when
their phone isn't busy, are quite helpful. I've used a version of
Procomm, and didn't seem to find a "script" facility like Crosstalk's
for automating logins. Is there a version that supports such
a facility?

--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		    lib.cb%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (05/09/86)

> I've noticed exactly the same thing you have.  I've been using Procomm
> because its vt100 works pretty well for my girlfriend calling a VAX
> using "All-in-one" application software.  Otherwise I've been terribly
> disappointed by the terminal emulations.  I didn't realize it was so
> difficult!  (In Procomm even the ANSI-BBS emulation doesn't quite work.
> If he would just get out of the way and let ANSI.SYS deal with it, I
> could write a working termcap.)
>
> I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
> software that does any better?

Nope, it's worse. That's why I wrote my own terminal program, "Smartty". It
emulates a VT52 well enough to fool VMS, but for some reason I still can't
get the VT100 mode to match... I'm supporting all the escape sequences that
are meaningful "by the book", but I still can't use EDIT/EDT in VT100 mode.
On the other hand, it works great with VI. I've uploaded it to a few BBS
systems around here.

Other advantages to Smartty:

	* It's very nearly modeless. The keyboard is live in all setup and
	  dialling menus unless you're actually typing in a file name or
	  a macro. This way you can play with your setup parameters while
	  pounding the keyboard. Also, all menus use the same set of keys
	  to select & use entries.

	* It will (with a little bit of luck: MS-DOS brain damage can cause
	  problems) download and communicate over both ports at the same time.

	* It emulates ADM3a, Tvi912, VT52, and VT100 (with some extra codes for
	  insert/delete line/character) terminals.

	* It will dial (though not repeat-dial) just about any modem you can
	  think of.

	* It's well behaved: it uses BIOS screen I/O for speed but the only
	  hardware hacks it uses are those necessary for the Async ports (more
	  MS-DOS breain damage).

	* Finally, I'm more than willing to listen and add features I find
	  believable. And if anyone knows what weird things VMS is doing to
	  my VT100 mode, please let me know!

I can't upload it here, but if you'll leave me mail I'll tell you how to get
hold of it.
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

ljz@well.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/10/86)

In article <135@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:

>Spend the money and buy Crosstalk. Supports Kermit (have used), XMODEM
>(have not used), and emulates a number of terminals. I emulate a VT-100
>on a DEC-20 to do Emacs and spreadsheets, and a TVI-920 to emulate a
>3270 (I'm going through a protocol converter) to do work on an Amdahl.
>You can run other programs from within Crosstalk (like your editor, if
>you have enough memory). Also, Microstuf's technical support people, when
>their phone isn't busy, are quite helpful. I've used a version of
>Procomm, and didn't seem to find a "script" facility like Crosstalk's
>for automating logins. Is there a version that supports such
>a facility?

(1)  PROCOMM *does* have a script facility in its later versions.  It
     can be used for automating logins.  You can run your editor from
     later versions of PROCOMM, just as in Crosstalk.

(2)  The only program you can explicity run from Crosstalk is your
     editor (or whatever you tell it your editor is).  To run other
     programs, Crosstalk lets you start up the command processor
     (whatever's in COMSPEC) as a subshell.  PROCOMM works exactly
     the same way (later versions, again).

(3)  PROCOMM's terminal emulation still seems to have a few bugs in it
     (as of version 2.3 ... see another message I left a day or two
     ago here).

(4)  Crosstalk emulates the VT-100 very painfully.  I find it nearly
     impossible to use EDT (on VAX, VMS) with Crosstalk's choice of
     keymappings on the VT-100 emulation.  PROCOMM's mappings are a little
     better.  PC-VT (public domain VT100 emulator) does a great job.

(5)  I have a long-standing gripe about Crosstalk.  It still (as of
     version 3.6) doesn't support full path names.  It has a CD command,
     but it's hard to use in scripts because it always asks you on the
     command line if you really want to change directories.  Plus,
     once you've changed directories, you can't find any system files,
     help files, script files, etc. until you change directory back
     again.  DOS 2.0 has been out for a couple years or so with full
     pathnames, and Microstuf still hasn't gotten around to supporting
     them.

(6)  Crosstalk does a good job on the nuts and bolts communications.  It
     seems really solid, and all the protocols seem to work.  PROCOMM
     seems good, too, but I haven't used it as much as I had been
     using Crosstalk.  PROCOMM does, incidentally, support Kermit, Xmodem,
     Ymodem (Xmodem with 1024 byte blocks), and Telink (used a lot on
     Fido BBS's).  Crosstalk has its own protocol, Kermit, and Xmodem
     only.

Take all this into consideration before running out and buying an
expensive product like Crosstalk.  PROCOMM's only problem that I
can see is the minor bugs in terminal emulation.  I suspect that
will be fixed soon (or maybe is fixed already by now).  On a
price-per-features basis, I think PROCOMM comes out ahead.

siewert@puff.UUCP (Dean Siewert) (05/11/86)

I've only tried Smartcom a couple of times.  It seems that they hired someone
to figure ways to make it difficult to use.  I've been using Procomm for a
while.  It is true that the emulators do not work quite right for many of the
terminal types.  I've been using the adm5 emulator and it seems to work
without a hitch.  This has been used for calling up Unix systems.  The emulator
does a "slow terminal" display for the adm5.  That is, it doesn't show inserts
in vi until you hit the excape key.  That has only been a very minor complaint.
The folks putting out procomm seem committed to make it a very good package.
There have been three updates this year and it just gets better.

 					Dean Siewert
					University of Wisconsin-Madison

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (05/12/86)

> Discussion of Crosstalk and PROCOMM, each with advocates.

I am currently using PibTerm, even though it has a number of glaring flaws.
I have used both Crosstalk and PROCOMM in their latest versions.  I would
not suggest anybody buy Crosstalk unless they really want to spend money
or have already tried PROCOMM.  Crosstalk has a number of problems.  It
doesn't seem to do flow control particularly well, has no conditional
capabilities (the WHEN command, I think its called, just plain DOES NOT
WORK and NEVER HAS), and doesn't handle pathnames particularly well.  On
top of that the interface is getting just a little old.

I would be using PROCOMM except that it doesn't have keyboard mappings in
the terminal emulator.  I use the rand editor on a unix system I call up
and I want to be able to define the keypad PgUp key as a page up in the
editor.  PROCOMM doesn't let me do this.  I can do this in either PibTerm
or Crosstalk, but PROCOMM uses PgUp for File Upload.  I could either get
used to hitting another key for this, but I use too many systems already
to start futzing around with something like that.  Also once I start
redefining the up and down cursor keys, I won't be able to use them in
menus and such.

If PROCOMM had keyboard mappings I would probably be using it.  Of course
its script language is BIZARRE.  At least CrossTalk and PibTerm use
words!!!  PibTerm's has turned out to be the best I've seen, and I've
written some really complex logon macros with it.  The problems with
PibTerm are legion however--problems in XModem handling with some bulletin
boards, the way it does ASCII capture and transmit, the fact that its
just too fucking big (course you ain't seen nothing until you've seen the
latest version of QModem).

Still waiting for the best solution...
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (05/14/86)

> In article <600@kepler.UUCP> mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
> >
> >I wonder if there's anything to be found in the professionally developed
> >software that does any better?
> >
> >Mojo
> >... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
> >{lll-crg,ptsfa,dual,well,pyramid}!micropro!kepler!mojo
>
> 	Just a mild flame.  I find it very interesting that you seem to be
> indicating that persons/companies who chose to distribute their products as
> 'shareware' are not 'professional' developers.
>
> Regards,				AT&T Bell Laboratories
> Michael Weber				1255 South Cedar Crest Boulevard
> ihnp4!aluxp!mjw				Allentown, Pennsylvania  18103

The tendency of netters to refrain from capitalization is unfortunate sometimes.
IBM sells some inexpensive, unsupported software under the name "Professionally
Developed Software".  It is a series of software in which quite a large number
of generally useful programs are sold on a diskette for something in the range
of $19.95 to $49.95 (there may be some a little higher yet).  This is cheap
enough that information about its capabilities is often passed around in the
same discussion groups with information about Freeware, Shareware, public
domain stuff, etc.  So I believe your flame is unwarranted, given this knowledge.

--
	- bc -

..!{seismo,topaz,gatech,nbires,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2266

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (05/15/86)

> I have used both Crosstalk and PROCOMM in their latest versions.  I
> would not suggest anybody buy Crosstalk unless they really want to spend
> money or have already tried PROCOMM.  Crosstalk has a number of problems.
> It doesn't seem to do flow control particularly well, has no conditional
> capabilities (the WHEN command, I think its called, just plain DOES NOT
> WORK and NEVER HAS), and doesn't handle pathnames particularly well.  On
> top of that the interface is getting just a little old.

The WHEN command does work, but the documentation on it is misleading
(at least so I think). It is possible to write pretty fancy scripts
using more than one when statement to automate logins, and even to
switch between machines, though some people might think the sweat
necessary to figure out how might be more trouble than it's worth (but
you've got to use the tools you have, right?).  The inability to handle
pathnames (except to the editor) is a hassle, but PC DOS 3.1 solves
that (subst.exe). So Crosstalk has its problems, but is there anything
out there that does *everything* it does, and better? If so, I'd sure
like to know about it: so far I haven't seen any informed indication
that there is. And at least its interface doesn't whistle at me like
PROCOMM's (yes, I know, you can turn the sound effects off).
--

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (05/20/86)

> > Discussion of Crosstalk and PROCOMM, each with advocates.
>
> I am currently using PibTerm, even though it has a number of glaring flaws.

Such as... none of the communications protocols work at all.

> I have used both Crosstalk and PROCOMM in their latest versions.  I would
> not suggest anybody buy Crosstalk unless they really want to spend money
> or have already tried PROCOMM.  Crosstalk has a number of problems.  It
> doesn't seem to do flow control particularly well, has no conditional
> capabilities (the WHEN command, I think its called, just plain DOES NOT
> WORK and NEVER HAS),

Gee, I used to use it all the time back before I gave up & wrote my own
program just to get a decent VT100 emulation..

> and doesn't handle pathnames particularly well.  On
> top of that the interface is getting just a little old.

Aww... good old Crosstalk isn't as bad as all that...