[net.micro.pc] what does "professional" mean?

topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) (05/14/86)

> 	Just a mild flame.  I find it very interesting that you seem to be
> indicating that persons/companies who chose to distribute their products as
> 'shareware' are not 'professional' developers.  Does MicroPro encourage you
> to attack this concept?

"pro-fes-sion-al adj:  ...participating for gain or livelihood in an activity
                                            ^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^
or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs..."

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1981
(emphasis mine)

Cheers,
Topher Eliot           Cyb Systems, Austin, TX          (512) 835-2266
 {gatech,harvard,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (05/16/86)

In article <849@cyb-eng.UUCP> topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) writes:
>> 	Just a mild flame.  I find it very interesting that you seem to be
>> indicating that persons/companies who chose to distribute their products as
>> 'shareware' are not 'professional' developers.  Does MicroPro encourage you
>> to attack this concept?
>
>"pro-fes-sion-al adj:  ...participating for gain or livelihood in an activity
>                                            ^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^
>or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs..."
>
>Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1981
>(emphasis mine)

Bob Wallace distributes PC-Write as "shareware" and has gross receipts
of about a million a year, so at least some "shareware" is
"professional" in the sense you use.  Perhaps you aren't familiar with
the term shareware?  (Shareware = software distributed by unrestricted
copying but with a request that satisfied users voluntarily mail
payment to the developer.)

Further, I contend that a little dictionary learning is a dangerous
thing.  Suppose a physician or attorney provides free/pro bono services
at some time?  Is he or she being "unprofessional"?  There are more
things in English and French, Horatio, than are dreampt of in your
abbridged dictionary...
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

peter@baylor.UUCP (05/24/86)

> "pro-fes-sion-al adj:  ...participating for gain or livelihood in an activity
> or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs..."

I'm a professional programmer -- I gain my livelihood through this activity.
Does this make any software I happen to release into the public domain
amateur efforts?
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076