[net.micro.pc] Hercules Mono/Graphics Card Question

fuji@ssc-bee.UUCP (05/23/86)

[..]

I just bought a Zenith 158 PC compatible with a Hercules style monochrome
hi-res text and graphics card.

My question is this-

I found out that I'm not able to run graphics (i.e. games) that were written
for the regular color card ( I get a message saying that a color card is not
present or something like that). Is it possible to get around this? Do I have
to get a low res monitor so I can use the color card? Any ideas would be
welcome!

Thanks in advance.

--
glen fujimori
ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji

brown@nicmad.UUCP (05/26/86)

In article <560@ssc-bee.UUCP> fuji@ssc-bee.UUCP writes:

>I just bought a Zenith 158 PC compatible with a Hercules style monochrome
>hi-res text and graphics card.
>
>My question is this-
>
>I found out that I'm not able to run graphics (i.e. games) that were written
>for the regular color card ( I get a message saying that a color card is not
>present or something like that). Is it possible to get around this? Do I have
>to get a low res monitor so I can use the color card? Any ideas would be
>welcome!

You're right!  You can't run color programs on a Hercules card.  You need
a card that supports Monochrome, Color and Hercules, all on the same card.
I believe Plantronics has one.  It is even cheaper than Hercules.  Check
the computer magazine ads.

The card that I mentioned will run color stuff on a monochrome display,
in shades of grey.  You can also hook up a color monitor.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \