[net.micro.pc] EGA clones

stever@tekgen.UUCP (Steven D. Rogers) (05/02/86)

There is a very informational set of articles in the April 28, l986,
issue of MIS Week on EGA clones.

bmarsh@noscvax.UUCP (05/15/86)

[gee, our postnews doesn't put that stupid 'REPLACE THIS LINE' garbage anymore]

Netters,

I am looking for experiences with EGA clones.  I have some manufacturers data,
but I am looking for data such as compatibility with IBM's EGA, problems with
software, or even hardware problems.  I would especially like to hear of any
problems getting one of these to run under Xenix (other than the normal EGA
problems).  I'm trying to decide which one to buy, so I'm interested in
rumors too.

Please mail responces to me.  I'll post a summary after a couple of weeks if
there is enough interest.

Thanks in advance.

--

Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@nosc

"If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (05/21/86)

In article <481@noscvax.UUCP>, bmarsh@noscvax.UUCP (William C. Marsh) writes:

> I am looking for experiences with EGA clones.  I have some manufacturers data,
> but I am looking for data such as compatibility with IBM's EGA, problems with
> software, or even hardware problems.
>    I'm trying to decide which one to buy, so I'm interested in
> rumors too.

I have an XT clone which runs at 4.77 or 8 MHz.  I bought the Quadram EGA+
card and after checking the switches many times, I accepted the fact that
the computer would not boot at 8MHz.  I called Quadram and all they would
say is that I did not have a good ROM BIOS.  I tried several others and
could not get it running.  It boots and operates just fine at 4.77 MHz,
though.  Quadram Technical Support number was not helpful at all.
Went out and got a Genoa EGA card and it took off at 8 MHz no sweat.
Same at 4.77Mhz.
I returned the Quadram board.  I don't have time to play games with boards.
I just want to plug it in and have it work.
And I am using the NEC multisync monitor.   Totally happy with it.

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (05/30/86)

In article <711@tekcbi.UUCP> jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) writes:
>In article <481@noscvax.UUCP>, bmarsh@noscvax.UUCP (William C. Marsh) writes:
>>
>> I am looking for experiences with EGA clones.  I have some manufacturers data,
>> but I am looking for data such as compatibility with IBM's EGA, problems with
>> software, or even hardware problems.

>I have an XT clone which runs at 4.77 or 8 MHz.  I bought the Quadram EGA+
>card and after checking the switches many times, I accepted the fact that
>the computer would not boot at 8MHz.  I called Quadram and all they would
>say is that I did not have a good ROM BIOS.  I tried several others and
>could not get it running.  It boots and operates just fine at 4.77 MHz,
>though.  Quadram Technical Support number was not helpful at all.

I have a Quadram EGA plus on my AT and have had no problems at all using
it with my enhanced color display in EGA and CGA modes (in fact the Quadram
software allows me to run many CGA programs that won't run with the IBM EGA);
it works like a charm.  But, when I connected my PGS max12, it was a
different story altogether.  About half of the Hercules software I tried
didn't work, and even worse, SCO Xenix System V would go into lala land
whenever I tried to use the multiscreen capability.  In summary, a great
card for color work, but the monochrome modes are very buggy.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben