[net.micro.pc] Compaq dies after format-anyone else?

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Lord) (05/25/86)

I added a hard disk to my Deskpro at work and now have a new
problem: after a floppy disk format, the computer hangs up
completely.  I assume it is the incompatibility of the disk
controller (hard disk) with the Compaq BIOS but everything else
works great and has for a year- as long as you don't format
floppies...

Any clues/common experiences?

Charles Lord
Triangle R&D Corp.
RTP,NC
cjl@ecsvax.UUCP

rob@gould9.UUCP (rob) (06/03/86)

In article <1613@ecsvax.UUCP>, cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Lord) writes:

> I added a hard disk to my Deskpro at work and now have a new
> problem: after a floppy disk format, the computer hangs up
> completely.  I assume it is the incompatibility of the disk
> controller (hard disk) with the Compaq BIOS but everything else
> works great and has for a year- as long as you don't format
> floppies...
>
> Any clues/common experiences?
>
> Charles Lord
> Triangle R&D Corp.
> RTP,NC
> cjl@ecsvax.UUCP

I had the same problem and solved it by moving the floppy
disc controller card and the hard disc card to different slots
It is apparently a board seating problem with the 60 pin
connectors.
I do not have the problem any more but beware of other
pcb's not acting correctly after the board swapping is done..

--

Rob Gwaltney     San Diego,CA

{cbosgd,ihnp4,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!rob
{seismo!s3sun,hplabs!hp-sdd,sun!suntan}!gould9!rob
rob%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA