[net.micro.pc] Divide Overflow with fdisk on xt

dsnow@watarts.UUCP (Doug Snow) (05/29/86)

_________*****_________

  I've been trying to format a ten meg tandon hard drive on a fully loaded
XT. After much messing around with the drive switches ( the xt has 2 floppies,
I was getting a floppy boot failure when I followed the manufacturers
switch setting recommendations ) I finally managed to do a low level
format ( c800:800 ). However, fdisk bombs after choosing the [1]
option ( 1 partition ) with a "divide overflow". Arghh, I have no idea
why this might be happening.. we had shorted the 34 conductor ribbon,
but this has been fixed and the low level format ran without a hitch. Has anyone
had similar problems. Can anyone give me some potential leads?
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

                              dsnow@watarts.UUCP

rob@gould9.UUCP (rob) (06/03/86)

In article <8723@watarts.UUCP>, dsnow@watarts.UUCP (Doug Snow) writes:
> _________*****_________
>
>   I've been trying to format a ten meg tandon hard drive on a fully loaded
> XT. After much messing around with the drive switches ( the xt has 2 floppies,
> I was getting a floppy boot failure when I followed the manufacturers
> switch setting recommendations ) I finally managed to do a low level
> format ( c800:800 ). However, fdisk bombs after choosing the [1]
> option ( 1 partition ) with a "divide overflow". Arghh, I have no idea
> why this might be happening.. we had shorted the 34 conductor ribbon,
> but this has been fixed and the low level format ran without a hitch. Has anyone
> had similar problems. Can anyone give me some potential leads?
> Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
>
>                               dsnow@watarts.UUCP

My wd controller book says "do not change any of the mother
board switches" These switches only affect the number of
floppy drives on the system and have nothing to do with a
hard disc controller.
The hard disc controller is seen as a completely seperate
device on the bus.
Did you type in FDISK c:
or just FDISK?
I found a glaring mistake in my dos book and wiped out a
boot dos floppy even with a write protect tab on it.

				ROB @GOULD9

--

Rob Gwaltney     San Diego,CA

{cbosgd,ihnp4,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!rob
{seismo!s3sun,hplabs!hp-sdd,sun!suntan}!gould9!rob
rob%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA