[net.micro.pc] PC Compatibles

bes@abstl.UUCP (05/24/86)

On page 69 of the June 10 issue of PC Magazine I see an ad for an
IBM PC compatible called THE PC+ at an almost too good to be true price.
Is it too good to be true?  Has anyone had any specific experience, either
good or bad, with this particular brand?  How compatible is it?  Has anyone
ever exercised the money back guarantee that some of these companies offer?
How about the one year warranty?  And getting it repaired after the warranty
expires?  Is there another low price compatible with similar features (extra
RAM, dual clock, AT style keyboard, fully compatible) that is recommended
over this one?  How sorry will I be if I buy it mail order and let price
be the driving factor?

Any response to ihnp4!we53!abstl!bes will be appreciated.

randy@chinet.UUCP (randy) (05/29/86)

In article <553@abstl.UUCP> bes@abstl.UUCP writes:
>On page 69 of the June 10 issue of PC Magazine I see an ad for an
>IBM PC compatible called THE PC+ at an almost too good to be true price.
>Is it too good to be true?  Has anyone had any specific experience, either
>good or bad, with this particular brand?  How compatible is it?  Has anyone
>ever exercised the money back guarantee that some of these companies offer?

	I feed pc-network news, and have set up a mail link to them.  If any
netters have questions on the + or anything else from PC-network, send
mail to ...!ihnp4!chinet!online!net
	(online is the 3b2/400 news machine at PC-network)

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

rob@gould9.UUCP (rob) (06/05/86)

In article <553@abstl.UUCP>, bes@abstl.UUCP writes:
> On page 69 of the June 10 issue of PC Magazine I see an ad for an
> IBM PC compatible called THE PC+ at an almost too good to be true price.
> Is it too good to be true?  Has anyone had any specific experience, either
> good or bad, with this particular brand?  How compatible is it?  Has anyone
> ever exercised the money back guarantee that some of these companies offer?
> How about the one year warranty?  And getting it repaired after the warranty
> expires?  Is there another low price compatible with similar features (extra
> RAM, dual clock, AT style keyboard, fully compatible) that is recommended
> over this one?  How sorry will I be if I buy it mail order and let price
> be the driving factor?
>
> Any response to ihnp4!we53!abstl!bes will be appreciated.

	I purchased said clone and the only problems I have had to
this point are the power connectors on the okidata floppy disc
drives, It seems every time I added a new card or upgraded the
system in any way I had to wiggle the power connectors on the
floppy drives to get them to work properly.
	Since I had so much trouble with the drives I had them
replaced twice before I found the problem and corrected it with
a good solder job myself.
	After I fixed this problem I have had no other problems
with the machine. Every piece of IBM software I have thrown at
it runs just fine, The turbo mode does not run on all the
software but the coprocessor takes care of the speed lag in the
slowwww mode.
	It even runs the ibm diagnostics without failure and I
do not run thier BIOS...

	My suggestion is BUY IT before the prices go back up.
Thier service is very good and thier tech. support on the tele
has been polite and intelligent!

--

Rob Gwaltney     San Diego,CA

{cbosgd,ihnp4,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!rob
{seismo!s3sun,hplabs!hp-sdd,sun!suntan}!gould9!rob
rob%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA